BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my '99 328i in because it's been shaking pretty bad when veering to the left while going over about 50 mph, and the mechanic said I need to replace the right front lower ball joint which will require replacing the entire control arm.

Since he wanted to charge me $1100 to change one control arm and the bushings on both sides, I'm going to purchase the parts myself and just pay someone for the labor.

However, I've been reading that you are supposed to replace the control arms in pairs, but I can't seem to find a reason for this. If the ball join was fine on the left side, is there a reason I can't replace just the right arm?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Got lower ball joint from online and replaced myself. $80 and 2 hours of work

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
potential for small cracks in control arms or any amount of other reason.s if your oe control arms lasted 100k miles dont you think they are tired and fatigued and new 1's will last another 100k. cheap insurance i think

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mine is m184k miles and control arms were replaced once, so I had to reason to replace yet again.

Also to answer OP questions, I got it from fleabay bmw seller or something. I would post a link but item was deleted.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah, best to replace in pairs as the other one, while still okay, isn't far too behind. The Meyles are solid, cheaper and prolly on par with everyone's favourite, the ZHP ones. You can do the work yourself, may take you longer but you will get it done...

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you can still find it, several vendors were blowing out the BMW performance suspension kit last month for about 500 bucks... Included two new zhp arms, shocks,bum stops & 23.5 front sway bar. Almost cheaper than just buying 2 control arms ala carte. Doesn't include the FCABs though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts