BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do some work on wife's 325i. So far my accomplishments been water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, assorted fluids, brake rotors/brakes.

I know most folx jack er up, put 2 stands under front support points and remove front wheels to remove load from control arms.

What if I were to drive the front wheels onto 10" ramps I have ? Would that make replacing control arms easier/harder ?

I do have all the tools to jack it up and put front onto jacks, just asking as driving onto the ramps is quicker.

Car's got about 80K miles of semi-rough NJ driving, so I figure replacing both arms and the bushings/carriers is in order. There's so much play in control arms it is not even funny.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Going to do some work on wife's 325i. So far my accomplishments been water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, assorted fluids, brake rotors/brakes.

I know most folx jack er up, put 2 stands under front support points and remove front wheels to remove load from control arms.

What if I were to drive the front wheels onto 10" ramps I have ? Would that make replacing control arms easier/harder ?

I do have all the tools to jack it up and put front onto jacks, just asking as driving onto the ramps is quicker.

Car's got about 80K miles of semi-rough NJ driving, so I figure replacing both arms and the bushings/carriers is in order. There's so much play in control arms it is not even funny.
Well the weight of the car is still on the control arms at that point - seems like it would not work very well...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Check the DIY section. I believe the wheel need to be off to get better access and pretty sure need to be off ground to free up the control arm. Not sure possible with weight on the front suspension.

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
You sure the play is from the ball joints as well as the bushings. OE bushings are oil filled and seem to have a life expectancy of around 50K miles plus or minus...but control arms, I think, get replaced lots more often than really necessary.

Personally, I know my ball joints are a little loose, but I think of them as broken in...and it makes my car feel much lighter having that nimble feeling...just saying. If you're know they're bad, that's one thing, but if just to be safe, not sure they're absolutely necessary. There are a couple vids I saw to test the CAs themselves. I also know my mech will put huge channel lock pliers on the top and bottom and try to wiggle them to see whether they're tight or not...and of course, there's the tire wiggling method too.

Anyway, hope wifey appreciates this work you do and pays you back appropriately...that, though, you report in OT!

HTH

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts