E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New user, 1st post... sorry if I breach any forum rules or etiquette.

I have a 2001 M3 Convertible (6-spd manual, 77K miles) which recently started encountering a squeal when the clutch is fully depressed. Other than the sound I had no other issues until the other day when I parked on a steep hill, nose down overnight. A few miles into driving, my clutch was having problems engaging and I pulled it over and let it idle, pumping the clutch several times after which it seemed to stabilize (air in the line?).

Being told by a shop I took it to that both the flywheel and clutch assembly require replacement (not sure how they could know without opening it up) and cost of the parts alone for this repair (BMW parts only at this shop) are enough to give me heartburn.:yikes::yikes:

Been reading thru lots of posts on the BMW forums about the reliability of the E46 dual-mass flywheel and SAC clutch, so I am really concerned about spending that much on what may fail sooner than a possibly cheaper aftermarket solution (e.g. UUC lightweight flywheel plus sprung-hub clutch).

Friend has recommended his mechanic that can do whatever repairs I need without any parts restrictions. Just wanted to know if I should really stick with the original BMW parts or if anyone has went with anything aftermarket that have worked well without any problems (costing less would be even better). Any Pros/Cons to OEM clutch and flywheel combos versus aftermarket?

FYI... I do have a 6-speed manual transmission so not sure how much that changes the situation.

Your guidance is very much appreciated! :bow:

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for single mass flywheel conversions on a 6-speed 2001 M3?

Seems that the 6-speed options are rather limited... hoping someone has some experience/mileage with some of them to give me an idea of what is the best choices. Really want to get rid of the SAC/DMF combo given what I have read but don't necessarily need any performance gains (present/future repair cost and reliability are my main concerns).

Your help is very much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Unless you're going to UP the power output via Turbo or S/Cing, keep it stock. Stock will feel the best & not have any issues, probably for as long as you have this Bimmer. Concerning install price, call around, maybe even go in person to a handful of shops to negotiate your best deal.

Good luck,
Rob43

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Rob!

OK... just heard a lot of chatter about the reliability of the DMF and the quote from the dealership and local shop were insane (mainly from the cost of OEM parts). I have a mechanic lined up to do the repair at a much more reasonable rate but was concerned about what parts to purchase for the repair.

Would this Luk DMF and Clutch kit work or is there going to be any difference with the BMW branded OEM parts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LuK-CLUTCH-...006-BMW-M3-3-2L-E46-6-SPEED-SMG-/400509072608

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.