E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my replacement key. I think the dealer charges about 150 for a new one. I looked on e-bay and found a few (blanks) - only problem is that I can't read the numbers on the back of the key to make sure I get the right E46 key.
If I give the VIN number to the dealer can they tell me the number for the key - not really in their interest?
Also, can I program a new key myself or do I need to go to the dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
beantownbimmer said:
I lost my replacement key. I think the dealer charges about 150 for a new one. I looked on e-bay and found a few (blanks) - only problem is that I can't read the numbers on the back of the key to make sure I get the right E46 key.
If I give the VIN number to the dealer can they tell me the number for the key - not really in their interest?
Also, can I program a new key myself or do I need to go to the dealership.

Thanks
The keys have to cut by BMW NA. They are laser cut and have the chip inside for the EWS (drive away protection) No dealer can cut EWS keys. When ordering a key, only the registered owner of the vehicle can keys cut and a drivers license, registration or title must be presented to make copys, to be kept on file. BMW NA is very strict about these policies.
The programing for the keyless entry, you can do yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts