BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a strange noise coming from my engine compartment-- it sounds like is coming from the tower (I think it holds some filter) on the lower middle part of this pic (w/ the screws).

Anyone know what this is? Also, has anyone replaced this filter or whatever it is? PLEASE HELP!! :dunno: :thumbup:

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you unscrew those silver screws there is a filter like foam piece inside. And it makes some weird noise in the first 20 seconds of starting up my car?? :dunno: any suggestions?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,790 Posts
That is the air pump for emissions, I don't remember the details but it does run when the car starts, it is supposed to.

Tim

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I openned it up and took out the filter-like a piece and it seemed very DARK -- at least, holding it up to the light, I couldnt see through it?? almost like checking a filter than needs to be replaced....any thoughts?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,790 Posts
i don't have my bentley handy but I don't think the pump requires service.

·
Registered
261 Posts
if its the secondary air pump....mine did the same thing. it doesnt hurt the car. i finally got mine replaced, but there isnt any harm done...if its the secondary air pump.

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you think with the weird sound that I should replace the filter-like piece inside?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have sold MANY of those air pumps and valves there are NO listings for a filter for it.......

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does it sound like a whine? starts just after you start your car, then whines down after a little while?
yes, exactly!

I have sold MANY of those air pumps and valves there are NO listings for a filter for it.......
how much are they to replace?

its your carbon filter
is that replaceable?

PLEASE HELP! :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
mines does the same...only when its cold outside tho.....I took it to the dealer, but they couldnt do anything about it unless i leave it overnight so that they can start the car cold....

·
Registered
261 Posts
AMG EATER said:

yes, exactly!

how much are they to replace?

is that replaceable?

PLEASE HELP! :thumbup:
in my M5 it was the secondary air pump. Mine was covered under warranty. Why dont you take it in and see how much it is. Or just leave it. i leftmine for a year or so. it gave me time to smoke a ciggerette before i got in the car. (i quit now..going on 5 months) Do you not have a waranty?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
t3rrence said:
mines does the same...only when its cold outside tho.....I took it to the dealer, but they couldnt do anything about it unless i leave it overnight so that they can start the car cold....
It only does it when it's cold because that's the only time the secondary air pump runs.

It should be covered under the emissions equipment warranty, which I believe lasts for 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Check and see I have replaced many secondary air pumpos and valves under warranty. Either for check engine lights or because of the noise. They are like $200.00 for pump and One something for valve. I sell almost all of them under wearranty. It should be covered under emissions warranty 8yrs 80k miles.
The carbon filter or micro filter would be the AC filter. That is the back of the motor under the winshield kinda. Its a long skinny filter thats not makin the noise. But good to replace every 30k miles. We do it every inspection. My old dealer replaced them every 15k miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts