BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Replaced the lower control arms, upper ball joints, and pressed in new bushings this weekend. All of the stuff was factory and installed to spec. Shimmy(when braking, high speed) has now disappeared and steering is much tighter. Previous owner had aftermarket stuff installed which went bad quite quickly. One thing the previous shop had screwed up, was the offset for the control arm bushing(way off from 18mm) and the ball joints were shot.
I'll warn others, the passenger side was tight. Since I have a 20 ton press in the garage, pressing in the bushings was not too bad. If you don't have one, you might need a machine shop, or the like to press them in. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Regards

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I press centered e36 M3 bushings into my carriers with a home built 8 ton press. The same press that I use to press in the e36 non m outer ball joints. Makes things replaceable on a budget. My guess is the poly bushings I have in my e36 would fit too. I can do out ball joints and bushings for <$70. I should do the inners one of these days but the car drives just fine. 20170920_114315.jpeg 20190222_094743.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to see how these wear. Since I now have an extra set of lollipop brackets, I might prep them for urethane on the next go-round. My experience, is, the factory stuff tends to last much longer. I used a 20 Ton Arcan shop press which was adequate.
Regards

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm going to see how these wear. Since I now have an extra set of lollipop brackets, I might prep them for urethane on the next go-round. My experience, is, the factory stuff tends to last much longer. I used a 20 Ton Arcan shop press which was adequate.
Regards
The statement about factory stuff lasting much longer is true for FCABs across most BMWs. However, the XI units are fluid filled unlike the solid rubber used in the FCABs for other variants. That means there's less rubber to resist deflection and it wears much quicker.

PM me if you're interested in selling your lollipops. I do an FCAB pre-pressing service for forum folks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The statement about factory stuff lasting much longer is true for FCABs across most BMWs. However, the XI units are fluid filled unlike the solid rubber used in the FCABs for other variants. That means there's less rubber to resist deflection and it wears much quicker.

PM me if you're interested in selling your lollipops. I do an FCAB pre-pressing service for forum folks.
The bushings in our lollipop brackets had no fluid, but definitely less rubber then a M3 unit. Thanks for the offer, but I'm thinking of keeping the brackets around as insurance if I go the urethane route on the next go-round.
Regards

·
Registered
385 Posts
I press centered e36 M3 bushings into my carriers with a home built 8 ton press. The same press that I use to press in the e36 non m outer ball joints. Makes things replaceable on a budget. My guess is the poly bushings I have in my e36 would fit too. I can do out ball joints and bushings for <$70. I should do the inners one of these days but the car drives just fine. View attachment 778289 View attachment 778291

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app
Can you do the same with non xi cars?

Sent from my SM-J415F using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
6,086 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Okay thanks for the reply.but im curious whats is the fitment difference between the xi control arms vs non xi arms

Sent from my SM-J415F using E46Fanatics mobile app
You need to google some pictures of the 2 chassis' to see the differences. These are the xi control arms. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-4-piece-control-arm-kit-e46-325xi-330xi-e46xi4piececakit and the RWD look like this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-kit-w-bushings-4-piece-e46-e46arms-l

1 - 11 of 11 Posts