E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Slightly Modded ///Member
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was getting ready to put some powerflex FCAB's in my '99 E46 sedan because mine are shot, and I noticed the Bentley says to replace the non-reinforced control arms they put on the early E46's.

Do I really need to do that? I don't want to spend the $300 if I don't need to, but I also don't want to waste my $150 pair of bushings/housings if I'm going to rip them off again to do the control arms later or if I find out I have a blown ball joint. The BMW mechanic who did my prepurchase inspection didn't mention the ball joints being bad but maybe that's something you can't see.

I'm at 155K miles by the way.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
I'd replace the control arms at your mileage anyway. The later control arms are 66mm vs 60mm (Cab size) and IIRC, cannot be interchanged. I recommend Meyle HD with Meyle HD pressed on bushings. No need for poly. You also benefit due to the Meyle HDs using all metal balljoint casings unlike stock which is encased in Nylon. Since you are wanting to put Poly CABs, why would you compromise by using the less responsive control arms?

Do it once, do it right.

·
Slightly Modded ///Member
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd replace the control arms at your mileage anyway. The later control arms are 66mm vs 60mm (Cab size) and IIRC, cannot be interchanged. I recommend Meyle HD with Meyle HD pressed on bushings. No need for poly. You also benefit due to the Meyle HDs using all metal balljoint casings unlike stock which is encased in Nylon. Since you are wanting to put Poly CABs, why would you compromise by using the less responsive control arms?

Do it once, do it right.
OK thanks for the quick response.

My wife will be happy that I get to spend my friday afternoon with her instead of Betsy. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.