E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help!!! i'm new to this site and have an issue.

right i bought a 2001 325ci vert, i bought it spares or repairs so problems were to be expected,

i will start from the beginning, i saw it i loved it so parted with my cash, drove away in it, with an issue.

it started idled really badly first turn of the key, but revs were all over the place after 2mins it settled enough to get it back home, i put it on my obd2 reader which said p0335, and 2 other lambda codes, i sorted the lambdas, after going through the car with a fine tooth comb, the crank shaft sensor is the last issue,

some history of the car,
brand new crate engine from bmw £5500 receipt to prove
brand new crate transmission from bmw £2700 receipt to prove
new front and rear brakes
new front and rear suspension
full service history
new roof
etc etc the list is endless

all paperwork checks out right after the lambdas were fitted the only code left was p0335 crankshaft sensor, (i scanned car with a cheap code reader and a bosch kts520 both said same) so i changed it with a friends just to try it, and hey presto it started perfect then 20s secs later engine light back on!!! so i bought a new one from euro car parts oem spec vdo seimens, but no change light still on, took it back said no difference with the replacement still oem spec, but this time the car doesn't want to start now,

it cranks whirls over ok,

it has had all the breathers done, no leaks have checked twice and thoroughly,

i now have the injection loom out of the car, i have been through it the crank shaft sensor plug was really bad so have changed it for a new one it has been soldered in properly, i also checked to see if i have knocked anything whilst fitting the crank sensor with my porky arms.

i am lost i am lost and would be grateful of any help.

i dont know if it is any use but my park indicator on my gear selector has decided to stay on now, which means the car wont go into sleep mode, i know it is should go off after 15 to 17 mins but wont now, i don't know how long this has been going on though...

thanks in advance for any advise offer

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Check the wiring from the CPS plug to the DME for continuity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both continuity and voltage is correct as it should be, I dismantled the loom last night and tested most of it, well the sensors that were bringing codes up from when I scanned the car, thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through the loom with a multimeter to test continuity of wires last night, I cleaned all the plugs, checked every wire carefully to see if any oxidisation or breaks but found nothing. Looks ok, will fit it back in later to see if ok, hopefully but not holding much hope to be fair. Does anybody know how to diagnose a dead dme? Is there any obvious signs???? Could it be that??
Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
I went through the loom with a multimeter to test continuity of wires last night, I cleaned all the plugs, checked every wire carefully to see if any oxidisation or breaks but found nothing. Looks ok, will fit it back in later to see if ok, hopefully but not holding much hope to be fair. Does anybody know how to diagnose a dead dme? Is there any obvious signs???? Could it be that??
Thanks
Could be some spread contact pins within your plugs not providing good contact. Some guys here have had that problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 vdo Siemens, that is who I am told makes them for bmw, and one I bought from a bmw main dealer, I have not used a cheap aftermarket one,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have put a lot of money in this car, and don't fancy putting another 300 to find out it isn't the loom. I can buy I loom, kinda wish I didn't buy the car it's a nice car but am getting fed up with putting money into it....

Probably feel different when it is running, if I haven't lost my patience with it and sold it in bits

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
There is no reason to replace the loom if the wires check out.
Maybe something is wrong with the part on the flywheel/flex disc that the sensor is reading?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to the history I have the fly wheel gear box etc has all been done if you take the sensor out and starter, crank engine by hand it looks in good condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it stars and drives and works!!!!! but i still have p0335 code and if you clear it, it comes straight back on again.... any ideas
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts