BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330xi
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

On the way to getting my new flip keys going, my local locksmith messed up a blank.

Now I am looking for new blanks that can go into the flip key,

Will these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-NO-6...bmw+key+blanks&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

(see blank pic attached)

Go in here?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modify-Fli...bmw+key+blanks&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Look at the pic w my hand in it, that's the blank coming out of that FOB above. I need to replace only the blank as it was cut badly. Question is if I can get the blank out of that round flip thingy. I can't find any blanks online tat come with that round aluminum piece attached.

Cheers,
fana

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Not sure I would screw around with trying to swap out the blank, may be more headache than it is worth. But if you look closely at the original part, there is a small roll pin that you can probably punch out and then swap the blank out, but who knows how standard the ends of the blanks are???

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Those blanks are for vendors that mold a plastic head around them. A Chinese seller will happily sell you one even when it's nearly useless to you.

The part above looks like die-cast white metal (e.g. zinc alloy) around one of those blank blade.

I bought the cheapest blanks available when I was aligning my cutting machine so that I wouldn't mess up a valuable cut. You can get many alignment rounds out of a single blank.

·
Registered
2001 330xi
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those blanks are for vendors that mold a plastic head around them. A Chinese seller will happily sell you one even when it's nearly useless to you.

The part above looks like die-cast white metal (e.g. zinc alloy) around one of those blank blade.

I bought the cheapest blanks available when I was aligning my cutting machine so that I wouldn't mess up a valuable cut. You can get many alignment rounds out of a single blank.
Thanks guys. So, from your second sentence I gather that it would likely work to replace the blank with these? I can only find ones that look like these (with the notch) so maybe there's only this kind anyways?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The white metal might have been cast around the cupro-nickel blade. Or there might be a roll pin holding it in. It's difficult to tell from the picture.

Is a new blank flip key costly? It might just be cheaper to buy another.

·
Registered
2001 330xi
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeah, there's a roll pin I believe. Just not sure how to get it out.

1 flip key is 17$, and 10 blades 8$, so......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts