BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i like you guys jus love the way the e46 looks. but theres a few cars that im considerin that are cheaper and seem to be jus as powerful, the rsx s-type, g35 coupe, and to a lesser extent the tiburon (coz its cheeeap). The bimmer i like is the 325 ci. i noticed the 325 ci has lower hp and torque than some of the aforementioned cars. now i know hp isnt everything blah blah blah. actually, i noticed that 3 series bimmers seem to have unusually low hp, is there a reason for that?

what i wanna know is when it comes down to it (dont gimmie that the better drivers win crap), which car of the ones i mentioned would win on a totally straight road, and a course. oh and im well aware that some of the cars i mentioned arent in the same class as a 325 ci, but i dont care force a comparison out anyways plz

also im startin to feel like the only reason i like the 3 series is becuz it looks so damn sexy, but thats jus not enough. plz tell me some other reason why i should love it again.

thanks guys

·
Invalid User
10,685 Posts
you walk up to a chick, start talking to her... and when she asks, "what kind of car do you drive..?" you want to say:

a. tiburon
b. rsx type s
c. g35
d. BMW baby...

i'm sure you'll earn extra brownie points for just driving a bimmer:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
NYDawgs777 said:
hi guys, i like you guys jus love the way the e46 looks. but theres a few cars that im considerin that are cheaper and seem to be jus as powerful, the rsx s-type, g35 coupe, and to a lesser extent the tiburon (coz its cheeeap). The bimmer i like is the 325 ci. i noticed the 325 ci has lower hp and torque than some of the aforementioned cars. now i know hp isnt everything blah blah blah. actually, i noticed that 3 series bimmers seem to have unusually low hp, is there a reason for that?

what i wanna know is when it comes down to it (dont gimmie that the better drivers win crap), which car of the ones i mentioned would win on a totally straight road, and a course. oh and im well aware that some of the cars i mentioned arent in the same class as a 325 ci, but i dont care force a comparison out anyways plz

also im startin to feel like the only reason i like the 3 series is becuz it looks so damn sexy, but thats jus not enough. plz tell me some other reason why i should love it again.

thanks guys
The E46 line is much faster than its hp, torque numbers would indicate. On avg, the 325 is only 0.3 s slower than a RSX Type S in the 1/4 mile (15.1 s vs. 15.4 s on avg), even though the RSX has a much better power to weight ratio. Also, all the mag tests seem to indicate the G35 coupe is barely faster than the 330 even though it has 280 hp vs. only 225 hp. Other factors include weight, powerband (as opposed to just peak numbers), gear ratios, drivetrain loss.

Definitely go for the 330, even if it has no options.

·
Imported *******
855 Posts
dude man, RSX and Tiburon????

I take it this would be your first BMW. I came from an Integra when I bought my 330i, and even though my modded GSR pulls pretty fast, there simply is no comparison.

The refinement and rigidity of the BMW is first rate, and driving pleasure from the BMW is something a FWD car like an RSX or tiburon CAN never bring.

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
Its not all about straight speed. if you are looking for a racing beast, then dont get the BMW.

With the BMW, you are getting some prestige, comfort, performance, GREAT handling, and head turner. The 3 series doesnt claim to be the fastest car in its class. But overall, it is the best.

Not trying to flame you, but doesnt sound like you are ready for a BMW.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Buy the BMW if you want to make a statement. I have had cars that can do 10 -11 seconds on the quarter mile and they are powerful enough to whip your head back so hard that it would give you a whip lash. When I bought the BMW I bought it because it was built well all around. Great handling on the curvy roads and good power to match. If this is not what you are looking for, why don't you get an American torque monster that will satisfy your craving for speed? Everyone looks for different things when buying a car and maybe you are looking for a race car than luxury. Not trying to flame you in anyway. To each his own!;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want pure speed, you might as well forget those lines of cars. BMW is a whole new category and there is a reason why the 3 series continually tops the charts as one of the best cars of the year and class. You want speed... get an american car. Heck, if you want something cheap and fast, think about the new turbocharged Neon. That thing is quick for the buck. But when it comes to everything else, it wouldn't stand a chance compared to a BMW. Speed vs. The Ultimate Driving Machine. Depends what you want.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you're into power, get a WRX. Stock, it's really fast. Drop in 5k of mods, and you've got something that will kill just about anything off the line.

If you're really having a hard time with the decision, think about what's important to you in a car, then post back here. Give us the criteria for your decision.

Also, all the mag tests seem to indicate the G35 coupe is barely faster than the 330 even though it has 280 hp vs. only 225 hp
WHile that may be true, compare the 325i vs. the G35. That's what this person is trying to do - the g35 soundly spanks it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
3Wagon said:
If you're into power, get a WRX. Stock, it's really fast. Drop in 5k of mods, and you've got something that will kill just about anything off the line.

If you're really having a hard time with the decision, think about what's important to you in a car, then post back here. Give us the criteria for your decision.

WHile that may be true, compare the 325i vs. the G35. That's what this person is trying to do - the g35 soundly spanks it.
I know, the point I was making was that having more hp doesn't mean a car is necessarily faster. As I went on to point out, there are numerous other factors. I was showing that despite having much less hp, torque, BMW cars seem to do better than their power numbers would indicate. :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hyundai? :banghead:

Try to compare cars within the same category will make your life lot easier, 325i stick will beat or tie the following in a straight line:

IS300
Audi 1.8t
MB 240

You'll lose if you race the following:

G35
Mustang GT
RSX-S
Celica GTS
Neon SRT-4
Mini CooperS
350Z

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have to agree with the other comments thus far. If you want a race car, look elsewhere. The E46 is definitely faster than the torque and hp numbers indicate, but if you want sheer horsepower, get an RSX or Altima (although I guarantee you won't be as happy with their looks, handling, and fit and finish). The G35 is relatively close, but not quite there. The E46 gearing, handling, build quality, looks, and engineering make it far superior to the other cars you mention. If you want a car that makes you smile whenever you step into it, get a BMW!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not to knock the BMW, but as a soon-to-be former Acura owner, they are really reliable and the build quality is pretty good. I'm still getting a BMW and probably won't be an acura owner again, but they are pretty good cars.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
if u dont give a **** about magazine racing with ure friends (ie. "well car and driver said i can do 0-60 in .005 s faster then u!!") and u want a car that is really fun to drive, then go for the BMW. if u just like to read digits off a magazine and dont actually care how the car drives, just more worried about better 0-60 time then BMW is not for u.

btw, 325 is faster then rs-x, not by much, but it is.

yes speaking from extensive experience

1 - 20 of 43 Posts