E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright....So I just got Remus DTM installed. I got it used from a member of this board, and price was 400 including shipping. Mostly new, though tip has some deep scratches.
First of all, the tips are massive. almost to a point that it looks comical. I think it'd look good with bodykit but as is, it just looks out of place. I have 99 sedan
Second. I have no resonators removed. therefore it is not very loud. Actually, with the windows up, I don't even hear it at all. I'll have to look into getting rid of one sometime in the future. I do feel a slight gain but I'm pretty sure it's just my imagination.
The biggest problem with the exhaust is the fact that it doesn't sit even . the left tip hangs lower than the right one. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to ask about it, but I have a feeling since it's a screw in, they won't be able to do much. Anyone else have similar problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ironically, The shop didn't have to cut anything. I found out that OEM exhaust on 323s are clamped on(two clamps actually)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a Remus DTM exhaust also and experienced all the same problems you did at first. I remedied them by adding a Hamann rear add-on, which wraps around the tips perfectly and removing a resonator, which allowed the exhaust to be audible within the car. All in all i think the exhaust was a great choice and i get a lot of compliments on it especially regarding the trademark wolf logo of theirs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright so I went to the Shop and they told me since it was just screwed in, there's not much they can do about it. They said I may need to cut the wire that hangs muffler to the clamp or reweld it. They want 50 bucks. Now, I think this bogus since They charged me 60 bucks for replacing the muffler. And all they did was unscrew the OEM(didn't have to cut it..it was clamped on also) and screw the Remus on.
I figure, It shouldn't have taken more than 15 mintues, right? 60 bucks for 15 minutes? I thought cutting and welding it should cost that much. Also, They charged me 149 for rear brake pad replacement but told me 140 for fronts. I thought rears were cheaper to replace?
not sure about this place....
So guys, what do you think? should I pay 50 to get the muffler fixed?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
take back to shop and tell them to mount the exhaust more inward...can be done with a little cutting of the mid pipe...to adjust the lean ...u need another hanger or just have the existing hangers repositioned

IMHO... that exhaust needs a kit for it to look right...check out ACS 3's silver coupe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'm about to do that. remus is super quiet. Even for me!! I wouldn't mind a bit more rumble.
I guess I need to get a straight pipe like ones eisenmann come with. can any muffler shop do this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Killer Junior. a fellow forum member. Great guy to do business with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remove the resonator. otherwise you won't hear anything

·
Registered
751 Posts
i have one... didnt remove any resonators, it is a little quiet, but after i added and air intake i loved the sound. Its all personal preferance tho

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to have a Remus and had similar problems. Which muffler shop are you going to? Try AAA Muffler on Venice + La Cienega.

To increase the sound, remove the rear resonator. Any shop can do this and it shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks. All it involves is a cutting out the resonator and replacing it with any straight pipe.

Regarding the tips looking out of place, you have to ask the shop to cut some of the piping off and reweld it so the exhaust gets moved inward. Also, you can ask them to cut off the left tip and shorten it so it flows evenly with the curvature of your rear bumper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts