BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and a total BMW noob

I recently bought a 2002 e46 M3 and I'm about to remove the Intake Manifold to replace both Throttle Position Sensors. I'm replacing these because the car has dropped into "LIMP" mode twice now and reading through the threads hear, most people say to start by replacing both TPS sensors. While the Intake manifold is out and while I'm replacing the sensor that sits under the manifold, what else should I replace while it's out? I need to do the power steering, so that too will be done, but if you can recommend replacing anything else, such as vacuum hoses, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to not have to remove the intake manifold too many times.

Thanks for your time.

Wes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I unfortunately do not have a scanner (if you could recommend one, I would appreciate it) and the BMW shop I took her to came back with no codes. Like I mentioned, after I shut off the car and turn it back on, the car is fine, so I assume the codes are being wiped?

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Depending whether you need to, there are a lot of things for while you are in there.

Air filters, clean icv and tb, you could get into cooling with fan clutch/thermostat/orings, all power steering hoses, accessory belts, engine mounts, starter, heater core and hoses...next thing you know you are replacing the clutch, rebuilding vanos, replacing rod bearings and re-bushing the rear end. That's how it went with me .

So careful about "while you are in there".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If your definitely taking off the intake, I would replace the plastic drain hose. That is going to break. Also replace all the icv hoses while your there & clean it. Before you do anything I would buy a scanner. Is your car smg?

·
Registered
361 Posts
This guy will tell ya...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just be careful that Jason is not working on an S54, common problem areas are somewhat different, we have no disa, cooling system is different, fluids are different, part numbers are different, ccv, etc

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
New to the forum and a total BMW noob

I recently bought a 2002 e46 M3 and I'm about to remove the Intake Manifold to replace both Throttle Position Sensors. I'm replacing these because the car has dropped into "LIMP" mode twice now and reading through the threads hear, most people say to start by replacing both TPS sensors. While the Intake manifold is out and while I'm replacing the sensor that sits under the manifold, what else should I replace while it's out? I need to do the power steering, so that too will be done, but if you can recommend replacing anything else, such as vacuum hoses, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to not have to remove the intake manifold too many times.

Thanks for your time.

Wes
Bro my car is having the same issues! Please let me know when you swap out both TPS and if the problems go away. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not at all like pulling the IM of a non M E46, which is an hour or more and a PITA, the M3 will prob take you 30min max first time, and 15-20 after that so it's really easy. I removed mine a while back to replace the starter, and it was much easier than I ever imagined, so all I did was inspect all the hoses and clean the TB's. I figured I'd replace everything when I do the 100K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You would do best by reading codes first - before buying and replacing things.
Just an update on the Limp mode issue... When re-installing the intake manifold ( if your using aftermarket clamps) make sure the clamps do not get in the way of the rail bolts controlling the throttle bodies. If the bolts barley touch anything the computer will trip the car into Limp mode...That's How I was able to fix my issue!

Hope this helps some people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts