E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the gauge cluster on my e36 to install my new acs cf trim but even after reading the how to in the tech section I can't get the pod out. I undid the torx screws but the pod will not come free. I see the two tabs that are sunk into the grove in the dash but they won't come free and I don't want to break them so i didn't try to pry them loose. Anybody that's done this before have any suggestions :dunno:

·
Registered
439 Posts
e36325i said:
I'm trying to remove the gauge cluster on my e36 to install my new acs cf trim but even after reading the how to in the tech section I can't get the pod out. I undid the torx screws but the pod will not come free. I see the two tabs that are sunk into the grove in the dash but they won't come free and I don't want to break them so i didn't try to pry them loose. Anybody that's done this before have any suggestions :dunno:
You have to lightly pry the top part of the cluster down. Do not exert to much force on the tabs otherwise you will break them. But a little bit of prying will case the cluster to drop down from the top and make it easier to remove. After that you need to fel around for the wiring harnesses. To remove the harnesses you ned to press on the tab and move the clip back. If you dont remove the steering wheel, getting the cluster completely removed is a little bit tricky and requires you to move the wheel. One other thing, the plastic steering wheel column cover on the top is easily scatched from the sharp edges of he cluster when removing so be careful. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the tab on the wiring harness to remove it. I got the pod out easily thanks to your help but I can't find anything on the wiring harness to unclip it.

Thanks Again for your help

·
Registered
439 Posts
When you are feeling for the connector, in the center there is a clip that is on a hinge at the base of the wiring harness, you will notice a small hump in the plastic that is the piece in which you push in on to allow the clip to hinge open. Then you simply pull the connector out of the unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts