E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I have an 03 325xi that got run into while parked and I'm in the process of swapping on a replacement driver's door. However, the door that came from http://www.theeurodepot.com (BMW dismantler in NH) is not exactly the same. It also came with some good sized gouges which I'm miffed about, and the answer from the company was "what do you expect, it's a junk yard." Well, I expect that you'll inform me of condition issues before I purchase, but that's another story for another thread.:evil:

I'm tired of driving around with a crushed in door, so I'm going to try and make it work.

However, the trim piece across the door and the trim next to the window glass are both glossy black (color of the car) instead of matte charcoal grey as on my car. I have already replaced the horizontal trim, but I'm at a loss as to how to remove the vertical pictured here:

I guess if it's too much of a pain to remove I could just wet sand both of them till they're the same color and texture again...

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
They're supposed to be that way... Yours look charcoal gray because they've been outside in the elements for the life of your car. Highly recommend you restore them and get it all to match instead of wet sanding it all down...

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
ScratchX or some rubbing compound, and go nuts on it. It'll look brand-spankin' new with some elbow-grease or an orbital buffer. I just did it on my shadowline trim and it looks almost brand-new (except for the lower driver's trim - that seems to be almost impossible to restore. Worked on it for a good 30 minutes alone, not a big difference unfortunately).

If that doesn't work, go ahead and do the sanding idea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really does look like it's painted on the new door and not on my door... Like glossy body color and mine is definitely definitely not sapphire black metallic painted. It's more like flat rubberized gray.

I'd really love to get the damn piece off and swap it over, but I can't see how to do it without unbending the edge where it's crimped on to the door frame. Seems unlikely that I'll be able to get it back on without damage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11544095

Did some more digging at realoem to figure out what that piece is actually called (window frame cover it turns out) and was able to find a thread referencing a removal procedure. There are 3 little torx screws behind the window seal strip. It is possible to pop out from the bottom with the window down. Also, real oem indicates that my donor door came off a car with the "high gloss shadow line" package which is different from the standard trim. So I'm not crazy or neglectful, it's actually a different part!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts