BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have the OEM rear decklid spoiler on my 01 325Ci and i want to take it off. I recently talked to the owner of one of the better quality auto bodies in my town and he told me that if i wanted to take my spoiler off, i would need to get a whole new decklid because you cant fill those holes in for some reason. Now, this guy has done work for my family in the past and is pretty knowledgeable on cars, he has pretty much all german cars in his shope (bmws, mercs, occasional porshe, etc.)

My question is this, has anyone ever taken off a rear spoiler on ANY car? How did you repatch the holes left by the screws? Did it ever show through down the road? or did you just have to buy a new decklid? Also, any knowledge on the topic would be helpful...thanks..

on a sidenote, if theres anyone with a titanium silver coupe in the tristate area (im in stamford, ct) who wants to swap their plain declikd for my decklid w/ spoiler, drop me a pm :D :thumbup:

mark

·
Registered
778 Posts
i dont think it is possible for a flawless "refill"

I got a hamann wing and hamann sunroof.
my M3 Spoiler was Stolen (Forcibly)

But I am still hesitating.. to install the wing or the m3 one..
and i ended up getting a new m3 lip spoiler cos i dont wannt drill it.

Get the CSL Trunk! =)

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would love a CSL trunk, i just dont have the $$...

well, does anybody have any ideas as the best way to go about this removal? or is my only option a new decklid?

thanks,
mark

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dunno. I've decided that i would rather have a lip spoiler. I really want the ACS 1 peice. I like the way the spoiler looks from the side, but i dont really care for the way it looks from the back i guess. looks like i may be stuck with it tho...

·
Formerly know as phatbimma
1,284 Posts
Dalton said:
i would love a CSL trunk, i just dont have the $$...

well, does anybody have any ideas as the best way to go about this removal? or is my only option a new decklid?

thanks,
mark

Flawless is totally possible if the guy who does it knows what he is doing, now if he is a useless ****er then it will show...

If the guy who owns the body repair is supposed to be a "friend" or friend of the family I dont think he was being very truthfull or honest, he was trying to get more money out of you as the decklid will cost way more...

Just take the spoiler off, fill in the holes with some solder or a small plate if the wholes are big, then a slim layer of filler and sand it back down to shape...et voila a rear trunk without a spoiler...

Come on guys look at my trunk, we took the numberplate holder, handle, keyhole and everything out and the thing is perfect and we welded a big plate over it all. Then look at my front fenders the indicators have been taken out and a plate welded, everyone thinks my car came like this. Then the hood has its roundel removed same story a metal plate has been welded over the hole. And last but not least the rear fender has been deprived of its radio antenna, look at the pics they dont lie...Im not just saying this cos its my car, look at the pics, its been like this for a year now....

As for the CSL trunk I dont know if it is more expensive then a normal coupe´s decklid as the CSL bit is a plastic (I think, there´s one in a independent car seller shop near my house and I went to look at it) overlay...

good luck and dont get scammed into spending more then you have to...

steve

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks steve. Its not that the CSL trunk is more, its that i'll have to have it painted and everything and that gets into a big project, but then again...filling in holes like that may be a big project too :confused: :dunno: .........that brings an idea to my head. Anyways, how does your car look up close? theres no way to tell right? How the climate in your area. In my area, it goes from 90 in the summer to 20 in the winter. I'm just worried about the metal expanding or contracting and eventually showing where the screw holes have been repaired...:eek: i dunno what to do...

-mark

·
1,284 Posts
Mark,

From upclose you cant tell, to tell you how good it is:

15 minutes from where I live and my friends bodyshop/garage is the French headquarters for Glass Urit France a major European (german) car paint producer. Their painter and the manager both came down to look at my car when it was done because everyone loved it so much and their products were used...The painter loved the work and had nothing to say about the work nor the paintjob (considering he hadnt done it him self thats a good outcome because he tends to critique a lot) the manager compared the work and to a stock car like AMG or brabus(bad comparison for a bmw fanatic but great cars nonetheless) so no you cant see the difference....

As for temperatures it can go under 0 degrees CELSIUS here in the winter not by a lot though, and this summer we had temperatures like 45 degrees celsius, once my onboard computer showed 47 in the sun...

Hope that helps

Oh yeah as long as the welding is done properly and you limit the use of filler you should be fine...filler should only be use to finish the product off by a small skim...

steve

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it sounds like your in the same range as in climate. I will def take this into consideration. It sounds like the shop you used is of great quality and i question whether any of the shops around here are of that good of quality. we'll just have to see. thanks a lot for you help :thumbup:

-mark

·
Banned
256 Posts
I got sick of my rear wing too... too ricey. I wanted the M3 Lip spoiler so I took my car to MAACO and paid them $350 (including tax).

I took the spoiler off myself... it has 2 rods on each end and double sided tape around the perimeter of both sides of the base... be real careful... If you want to see it better, go to the dealer and ask them to show you one.

MAACO included the following for $350:
Fill in the holes with Fiberglass resin
Sand Prep deck lid for paint
Base Paint (my color code of course)
Clear Coat
Bake
Painted Base & Clear on M3 Lip Spoiler...

In order for it to come out right you need to remove all of the components from the trunk lid... That includes reverse tail lights, tag, tag mount, the electronic handle decorative lip, BMW Roundel, and 3** badge... Make sure they cover up the rubber around the lock otherwise it may look like crap with lines around it... I had maaco remove mine for me...

It came out very good. Matches very well... However there are some flaws in the paint like bubbles, and dust. No shop can get around that. However I had to bring the car back a month later for them to wetsand the whole trunk lid and spoiler. It makes it look factory smooth. Reinstall the badge and roundel. I purchased mine at the dealer for about $40.

Let us know how it turns out...! :D

·
booo for body roll.
3,423 Posts
if u look at where the spoiler is screwed in, it is screwed in on a part where two edges over lap. the problem with just repairing it would be that 1. fiberglass doesnt flex and might crack, and 2, if this edge where two metal sheetpanels is left bare, the water will eventaully cause oxidation, etc. to prevent this, imo the best way is to get a new deck lid.

·
1,284 Posts
fiberglass is a NO NO...for sure

Like I said earlier get them to weld the hole shut with some metal!!!! You will be fine... NO NEED FOR A NEW DECKLID...if you listen to bodyshops you will spend way more, than if you know how bodyshops work;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
phatbimma said:
fiberglass is a NO NO...for sure

Like I said earlier get them to weld the hole shut with some metal!!!! You will be fine... NO NEED FOR A NEW DECKLID...if you listen to bodyshops you will spend way more, than if you know how bodyshops work;)
Pretty clean car phatbimma. I like the work done to the trunk! :thumbup:

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, even if there was a MAACO around here, i wouldnt trust it. they must be good where you are but not around here i'll tell u that. lol. thanks for the input guys..if there are any more people who went through this procedure please let me know how it turned out...:thumbup:

-mark

·
Big in Japan
1,359 Posts
mark, beside the flex aspects of the area and associated cracking, its also a very obvious part of the car, when the sun hits it, you will see the mark where it t was repaired. In addition, the amount of labor involved to weld in the holes and such may not cost much less than a new trunklid. You could always do a junkyard search for body panels and get a used trunk.

HOWEVER, arent you keeping this car less than a year longer? I would just leave it be!

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey rich. I have been toying with this idea because its very possible i may be keeping the car at lease end. In that case, i would want to take the spoiler off. seems like the best course of action will be a new decklid...It would be the safest way of going w/out having to worry about consequences down the road. I guess i'll just wait until august and see what the deal is with my car and then decide from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts