E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm going to be thoroughly cleaning out my boyfriend's e46 coupe, but in order to do that I'll need to remove the front seats. Can I get a procedure and list of tools needed?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
That's very nice of you to thoroughly clean his car but it is more difficult than its worth to remove the seats. You can easily clean underneath if you just move them all the way up and forwards and then up and backwards.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the usual way I do it but I just wanted it to be spotless is all, haha. Maybe I'll save it for another day when he wants to replace his seats, then I'll be able to surprise him

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
If you do remove them, disconnect the battery, so the SRS light won't come on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Move seat so you can see all 4 bolts. Remove battery cables in trunk. go back to interior and remove the 4 bolts holding seat to car. Then remove the only connector

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Specifically, in order to remove the seat, you will have to move it all the way forward, unbolt the back bolts, move the seat back, and undo the front bolts. Then unhook the negative battery cable before unplugging the connector. The seats are very heavy so you may struggle getting them out. The steering column has to be all the way up and forwards to get them out. Be careful when taking them out not to scratch the car. Put towels over the inside of the front doors and on the outside of the body behind the doors. Reinstall is reverse. But honestly though, the seats move enough that you can clean under them without removing them. I always do a very meticulous clean and so when I switched out my seats, there was barely anything underneath.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I removed them a few months ago when cleaning, and it was very helpful. As written, it takes 5 minutes to get the out. 4 bolts, and they're out.

Granted I have manual seats. With power seats, they would probably be way heavier.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine spotless without removing. First push them forward before lifting the up. Take a brush and go underneath the track really well so that you can vacuum all the gunk up. For the side that closest to the middle, I take an old gift card to get any change and debris form it. Vacuum and I'm done.

the brush I have is similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Carpet-Chair-...=1385521475&sr=8-85&keywords=car+carpet+brush

1 - 8 of 8 Posts