BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I am no mechanic or electrical guru by any means but I have done a lot of research and have spoken to a few guys at local audio shops in my town, the problem I am having is the remote turn on once worked and out of nowhere the amp just stopped turning off when car gets turned off leading to a dead battery, I have looked at every video online via YouTube and have basically seen every wiring diagram online and I'm pretty sure it's tapped into the correct one which I believe is 16 for the remote turn on an off. I was told possibly a bad ground so I regrounded it correctly and still nothing, could it be coming from the headunit? I've pulled the headunit out examined it but was inconclusive.

Please someone help me out, I'd really like to fix this and would greatly appreciate it my friends thanks!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm assuming that the remote wire receives its 12 volt signal from the HU when key is in any position but off. To verify that it's not your ignition switch thats faulty, after car is off are you still able to operate the HU? If not it may be the HU isnt doing its job by switching the remote wire on and off. Only way to test is to try a different HU. If you don't want to do that install an off/on switch in remote wire and run it to somewhere readily accessible

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NumbaOneNewb, thanks for your response. I had a feeling it was going too come down to trying a different headunit out. I will try that next and let you guys know what happens. If anyone else has an idea feel free to keep thread alive and leave your thoughts on this issue thanks guys!

·
Registered
527 Posts
It might also be a good idea to put a volt meter on the remote wire at the amp and see if the voltage ever does drop to zero. Alternatively, disconnect the remote wire and see if the amp stays on.
You could also be looking at a bad amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts