E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the archives and haven't found the answer.

Has anyone with a US car, in the US, successfully had the window close feature with the remote key turned on?

My car is going in today for service/brakes and to have the OBC activated. I plan on asking them to looking into having this feature turned on.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i don't think it's possible for the factory equipment to do it, but you can easily go the aftermarket route w/ window roll-up modules..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some looking on the ETK. The remote key is the same for US and Euro, but the Basic Module is different. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Can a Euro Basic Module be programed to work in a US car?

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
no remote close but if you use the tumbler in the dorr by putting your key in, turning it to the lock position and holding it there the windows will roll up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clem said:
no remote close but if you use the tumbler in the dorr by putting your key in, turning it to the lock position and holding it there the windows will roll up.
LOL, that part I know. :banghead:

Anyone?
Anyone?
Anyone?
Anyone?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Appearantly you can get it done. There was a thread on this monday and I called two local BMW dealers and one wanted to charge me $30 and the other said to just bring it in.

I'm going to have mine done next week at a local dealer. So it is possible.

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
1,628 Posts
Dukes said:
Appearantly you can get it done. There was a thread on this monday and I called two local BMW dealers and one wanted to charge me $30 and the other said to just bring it in.

I'm going to have mine done next week at a local dealer. So it is possible.
i have heard many places that it can't be done cuz of the computer. but if i am wrong, PLEASE let us all know! oh, while you're there, ask about the auto close of the coupe rear windows:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dirtboy said:

i have heard many places that it can't be done cuz of the computer. but if i am wrong, PLEASE let us all know! oh, while you're there, ask about the auto close of the coupe rear windows:D
:D I'm out to prove you wrong I hope. I did speak with two different dealerships and specifically asked if that feature could be added and both said yes (one wanting to charge $30). I wonder if you heard if from people who actually spoke to a human rather than seeing it on some website forum.

Those rear coupe windows are a pain aren't they? Who feels like looking behind them waiting for both mirrors to close? I'll ask about this as well.

·
unregistered user
793 Posts
Its not possible to have the auto close from inside of the car of the rear coupe windows becasue of the switches. You need a 4 pole switch like the front windows have. the back windows only have 3 pole swiches. You can confrim this by feeling the "bumps" you feel when you press down on the switch to open the rears. you will feel two bumps pressing it down to open, one for auto open & one to open it however far you want. pull up on the switch to close and you only have one choice there. Myabe it could be possible to retrofit switches from the front windows to replace ther rear window switches, but I'm sure that the wiring harness wouldn't support this. so basically we gotta live with it. The only autoclose feature of the rear windows is with the key in the door or by gettting the remote programmed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
bradleyg said:
Its not possible to have the auto close from inside of the car of the rear coupe windows becasue of the switches. You need a 4 pole switch like the front windows have. the back windows only have 3 pole swiches. You can confrim this by feeling the "bumps" you feel when you press down on the switch to open the rears. you will feel two bumps pressing it down to open, one for auto open & one to open it however far you want. pull up on the switch to close and you only have one choice there. Myabe it could be possible to retrofit switches from the front windows to replace ther rear window switches, but I'm sure that the wiring harness wouldn't support this. so basically we gotta live with it. The only autoclose feature of the rear windows is with the key in the door or by gettting the remote programmed.
Well the rear windows on the coupe is a small thing. I'm more concerned with the remote closing the front windows like the manual says they should be able to do which is why I'm having mine done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The new dealer in town here told me that it can and it can't be done. They have to actually have the car and try it to see if it works. (???) I guess they can't tell some other way. Anyway, I'm in for a repair next week, so they're going to try it then.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Clem said:
Also, if you press unlock button on the remote for a couple seconds, all of the window will open, including moon roof if you have it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
als said:

Also, if you press unlock button on the remote for a couple seconds, all of the window will open, including moon roof if you have it.

:impulss:Yeah man we know this already. We want to get our windows closed with the remote. That's the whole point of this discussion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
back when the 3 series first came out in 99 they were the 99 and a hlaf models. my friend had a 4 door 323 and it had the close option already in it. i was surprised to see that because i dont know of any other car that did that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts