E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Classically, remanufactured means "rebuilt", as in an alternator, water pump, steering box, etc. Usually that means that there was something in the item that wore out, but could be replaced, and the item could be used some more... Nothing wrong with using remanufactured, as long as the remanufacturer is doing a good job and is checking all the specs on the item before they rebuild it... Usually remanufacturered is cheaper than new, so that's always a plus... it depends on the item... I wouldn't buy "remanufacturered" brake rotors (nothing to rebuild) while a rebuilt caliper is probably fine (pistons and seals have been replaced, etc.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salvator! Actually the parts are a clutch kit, and remanufactured by BMW. I will assume that BMW knows what it's doing in installing these parts as far as a warranty repair?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Salvator is correct with the "classic rebuilt" term, however this is not true with BMW, at least with the clutch parts. I recently had a valet driver burn out my clutch because he didn't know how to drive stick, why he got behind my wheel, I still don't know, but they paid for it, so everything is ok. BMW says the term remanufactered, but it is not rebuilt, it is new but because that exact part did not come with the car originally they use the term remanufactered to explain parts put on by BMW and authorized by BMW. However this does not apply to DINAN parts because those are aftermarket, where as a stock clutch replacement is OEM BMW parts for that exact vehicle, but it is not the EXACT part that came with the car originally....confusing and pointless I know, but hey they make good cars so I don't care....:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts