BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subframe is reinforced with the standard HPF reinforcements...**** :banghead:

Car is at VAC Motorsports atm.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That car doesn't have the welds in the trunk reinforced. Once those welds separate, the mounts flex and tear badly. If the plates are welded underneath but the trunk welding is still damaged, the entire floor just keeps getting hammered. We have been highly suggesting everyone that has the reinforcement done at our shop to have the trunk reinforcement done in addition to the four mounts underneath the car. We have seen a few cars that were even worse than this. One was not salvageable because the welding labor would have been cost prohibitive. one of the worst cars that we repaired had the entire diff dragging on the ground with all four mounts completely torn out of the body.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Wow! Good god that is some serious damage. Makes me want to go check mine right now since I don't even have the reinforcement plates.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I dont' even have that much change in my couch, how does Batta have that much change in his trunk?!? J/k..

I should look into continued reinforcements for my subframe as you all know what i'm about to do with my car :evil:

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
That car doesn't have the welds in the trunk reinforced. Once those welds separate, the mounts flex and tear badly. If the plates are welded underneath but the trunk welding is still damaged, the entire floor just keeps getting hammered. We have been highly suggesting everyone that has the reinforcement done at our shop to have the trunk reinforcement done in addition to the four mounts underneath the car. We have seen a few cars that were even worse than this. One was not salvageable because the welding labor would have been cost prohibitive. one of the worst cars that we repaired had the entire diff dragging on the ground with all four mounts completely torn out of the body.
Good catch, I didn't even notice that this car didn't have the area above the rear mounts sewed up from reinforcements underneath. Though I did have those reinforcements before as well, as part of the turner kit. Yet my car experienced similar tearing, though it did not tear where reinforced, it tore around the welds. on the front right mount point, and moved it a bit and that tear went past much of the gas tank.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Julio, you and batta have one thing in common... You drive it like you stole it, good job:thumbup: now let see what you have hiding for us :)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I went through this years ago. Brace it right so it never happens again

Might want to check the underneath like the last pic too. It tears all round the towers underneath.

·
Premium Member
20,929 Posts
are these wicked floor tears only on boosted cars?
the stock stuff doesnt have enough torque to do that does it?

·
Premium Member
20,929 Posts
i know that, all E46s and E36s have this problem. What im asking about these extremely wicked failures. ive never seen them that bad before.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts