BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how to register a car during the pandemic? It seems like all the offices are closed. Is there a way to register a new car online or get temp tags?

Does anyone have a link to registering a use car online, and if so is there a way to get an instant response? I think the only thing you can do is renew.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Used car from CA dealer:
Most places will also usually handle the registration (with Transfer of title and NRL) for you for a fee. So I presume you would just wait for the mail.

Used car from a private seller:
You get the title from seller, signed over to you. ( Make sure he is the owner and there isn’t a lien holder. It gets complicated if he’s counting on your payment to release the lien.) Instructions on the DMV CA site tells you where to mail the title (keep a copy) with your fees (use the fee calculator) and smog certificate. If you get the fee wrong, they will tell you if you still owe when they mail you the registration.

No instant link. You need to mail it in.

lien sale auction:
similar deal to private sale except you don’t mail a title to the DMV but you send a bunch of documents to prove the auctioneers attempted to recoup their lien with the original owner.

·
Registered
642 Posts
you can register it with AAA or go on DMV site and find a place that does vehicle registrations besides the DMV and AAA.
just put in your zip code in the site below and you can find places that isnt the DMV or AAA. usually those places do Smog as well.

That is news to me and good to know!

None in SF or San Diego, but one place in LA that does new registrations. Plenty in Sacramento but OP is in “SoCal”... Hopefully OP is in LA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah i was surprised too. i luckily had one close by in Walnut, CA. called Piedra's Smog. i think i had to pay a small fee but it beats going to AAA or DMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts