BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty.
Since winter is coming, I'm thinking of swapping out my 18 LM Styles for the set of OEMs. My LM Styles are pretty banged up, so I'm thinking about getting them straightened out at a shop. However, I'm planning to do the finish myself (Repairing curb rashes, repainting). I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum have done this before, I've checked out the DYI's and it seemed pretty straight forward but I'm just asking for tips & tricks if there are any.

Another question, should I change the finish on the LM Styles? Possibly gunmetal or matte black? or stay with Hypersilver? My car is in the sig, any TiAg with different LM finishes pic please?

Thanks!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,623 Posts
if you want the paint to really last. have them powdercoated.

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
I repaired the curb rash myself on all of my HRE's. It was scary as sh!t at first but it's very simple and very straightforward. Just make sure to use even steps with the sandpaper and spend a lot of time with the higher grits so there are no leftover scratches after you've polished. The first wheel I did ended up with lots of scratches still visible from the sandpaper. Still have to fix that... :(

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I currently have Hypersilver finish, can I just paint over them? or do I have to remove the old finish?
Removing the old finish would be better for the new paint to adhere, but if your current finish is in good condition, wetsand it, and do a couple times of wetsanding and primering and you should be fine. Its all in the prep work.

[email protected]

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so question:

how can I sand metal? Some of the curb rashes on the wheel have actually made it so the metal (the outline, where curb rashes are) flat? so the sides are sticking out? picture would definitely do a better job then describing it.. but yeah...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,623 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts