BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,083 Posts
I bought a set of wheels for my E36, and changed from hidden lug bolts (black) in a Style 15 wheel to exposed lug bolts in a Style 22 wheel. I bought a set of chrome lug bolts that looked fabulous in my 325 with M3 tire package on it.

What really happened was when I bought a new set of tires for the Style 22 wheels, I pissed and moaned to the tire salesman that the black lug bolts looked bad, and he had a set of chrome lug bolts on the shelf that he had written off long ago so he gave them to me. Maybe he added them to the bill, I don't really care. I drove away with fancy bolts and 17s on my car.

·
Registered
510 Posts
JustJohn,

Heh, with you all the way there! We've all been slowly becoming our Dads, but I also feel that has accelerated in the last few years. If those not in our mental zip code yet would like to see your future - watch the movie Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood. Thanks for the laugh. BTW, nomination for the coolest lugnuts I've ever owned goes to the factory titanium lugnuts on my 944. You hold the entire bunch in your hand and it's like a sensory illusion - you feel like you have plastic lugnuts. Not merely light. This-can't-be-real light...

·
Registered
88 Posts
JustJohn,

Heh, with you all the way there! We've all been slowly becoming our Dads, but I also feel that has accelerated in the last few years. If those not in our mental zip code yet would like to see your future - watch the movie Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood. Thanks for the laugh. BTW, nomination for the coolest lugnuts I've ever owned goes to the factory titanium lugnuts on my 944. You hold the entire bunch in your hand and it's like a sensory illusion - you feel like you have plastic lugnuts. Not merely light. This-can't-be-real light...
Days happen. Thanks for response.
I've noticed over the years that car forums with more "accessible" cars tend to be more emotional. The XJS forum was more or less like this one when I was hot rodding a 15 year old V12. The E-Type forum was a model of restraint, as is the pro-touring forum I'm on. Really don't know whether it is moderators or the crowd attracted by the vehicles.

That being said, I've got good 10 spline tuner lug nuts with C6 Corvette wheels on my 69 Impala and they are my preferred choice. The spline drive seems more resistant to getting beat up with frequent unbolting and the required key is common enough to pick up spares at better auto parts stores. It also discourages the use of impact drivers on aluminum wheels, which I'm not a fan of. I've already looked into them for the BMW and they will be they solution when I'm ready to commit to a track set of wheels and tires.
Also had these on my Wrangler Unlimited with no issues. I did learn the cheap ones will rust though.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts