BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did this mod 2 years ago my car has gradually improved to the point it uses NO oil i dont even check it monthly,but before the mod i did many rapid oil changes to clean it internally,and fitted a new ccv.i got the car at 180K its now at 210K

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
I'm 20k miles into this mod and for me it was the holy grail. In 20k miles I've only been down 2 quarts. Before this mod I would have burned 12-15 quarts in the same distance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did this mod 2 years ago my car has gradually improved to the point it uses NO oil i dont even check it monthly,but before the mod i did many rapid oil changes to clean it internally,and fitted a new ccv.i got the car at 180K its now at 210K
what oil do you use?

gonna monitor this for 5k miles, then guess its time for new CCV if it still burns oil.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
How rapid is rapid? I've debated doing the same ..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another testimony- months ago I did the CCV and since then started burning 1 quart every 500 miles. Did the 02pilot mod 500 miles ago and haven***8217;t burned any oil as far as I can tell. I also switched from Mobile 1 0w40 to Rotella T6 at the same time. Amazing. I love this forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another testimony- months ago I did the CCV and since then started burning 1 quart every 500 miles. Did the 02pilot mod 500 miles ago and haven't burned any oil as far as I can tell. I also switched from Mobile 1 0w40 to Rotella T6 at the same time. Amazing. I love this forum.
imma wait til i have 1000 miles to see if burns anymore (600 miles since oil change/mod - burn 1/2 qt already)

will just change to T6 @ 1000 mark if it burns more.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
imma wait til i have 1000 miles to see if burns anymore (600 miles since oil change/mod - burn 1/2 qt already)

will just change to T6 @ 1000 mark if it burns more.
T6 definitely helped my consumption. But didn't cure it. May try t5 15w40.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,093 Posts
I did the O2Pilot mod on my 2002 530i last weekend and used this handy adapter elbow. It fits right onto the larger 7mm nipple on the back of the intake manifold, makes a nice u-turn, then connects to a 3mm vacuum line coming from the CCV valve with a simple coupler.

This part is referenced in the post #1 of this thread.
Mercedes part number: 117 078 06 081
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-vacuum-power-adapter-1170780681

Edit: I noticed today that the 7mm end fell off the port of the intake manifold creating a vacuum leak. It seems that over time it expanded with heat cycles. I put a clamp on it to hold it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
How rapid is rapid? I've debated doing the same ..

Sorry for the slow reply,by rapid i mean as soon as the oil turned black,which at first was like a week,but soon 2 weeks then a month and so on.When doing this i used cheap oil since it was all town driving and going to get chucked. PS i also changed the filter each time.I must have done a dozen oil changes in a year but i carried on as the situation was improving since the oil was staying cleaner longer and consumption was dropping.The point was to get as much gunkout of the engine and give the new CV with the 02pilot mod a chance to work which it has in my case.I know black oil is fine to drive on i case any ones wondering thepoint there was to visibly measure the improvement inside the engine. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
update - @ 1200 miles. of fresh oil change of 7qts w/ mobil 0w-40. (forgot to check the dipstick to see where it is with fresh oil change)

this is where my oil sits now after 1200 miles.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=758039&stc=1&d=1539452265

then i added 1 qt, let it sit for 30 mins to settle, and this is where the oil line is.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=758041&stc=1&d=1539452265

car condition - sitting in garage, has not been driven in 3 days.

so the mod does help a little bit, not as much as i would like (i think i would have lost 1.5-2 qt at 1200 miles w/o mod). but it seems like it likes to sit at low 1qt for about 500 miles now.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
update - @ 1200 miles. of fresh oil change of 7qts w/ mobil 0w-40. (forgot to check the dipstick to see where it is with fresh oil change)

this is where my oil sits now after 1200 miles.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=758039&stc=1&d=1539452265

then i added 1 qt, let it sit for 30 mins to settle, and this is where the oil line is.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=758041&stc=1&d=1539452265

car condition - sitting in garage, has not been driven in 3 days.

so the mod does help a little bit, not as much as i would like (i think i would have lost 1.5-2 qt at 1200 miles w/o mod). but it seems like it likes to sit at low 1qt for about 500 miles now.
My experience was that the oil consumption gradually improved I guess as the rings worked correctly

Sent from my ONE A2003 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
91 Posts
02Pilot Mod Confirmed. My 2001 325i 187,000 miles consumed 1qt of oil per 800 miles.
After 1,600 miles of driving post 02Pilot Mod, I have ZERO oil consumption.
Update: Mileage now at 192,000 and zero oil loss. I was going to perform the aluminum valve cover swap but have abandoned that plan. If anyone wants my M56 VC and M56 harness shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Update: Mileage now at 192,000 and zero oil loss. I was going to perform the aluminum valve cover swap but have abandoned that plan. If anyone wants my M56 VC and M56 harness shoot me a PM.
wow thats crazy, result for me is totally different from yours.

did it work immediately on the 1st oil change after the mod? did u put in new ccv system?

·
Registered
91 Posts
wow thats crazy, result for me is totally different from yours.

did it work immediately on the 1st oil change after the mod? did u put in new ccv system?
Yes, immediately. Bought the car off my neighbor the orig owner with approx 185k. Original clutch, cooling system, struts/shocks and CCV. I changed the oil and noticed the consumption after ~ 800 miles. I was debating a new CCV or do the M56 VC and then read about the 02Pilot Mod. I still have the CCV on my to do list for when I have time to also do the plastic cooling pipes and starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Everyone! I did the O2Pilot mod last night on my 2005 BMW 325ci with 150k, burned 1 quart every 1000 miles. Today i got the engine light "CHECK GAS CAP" Please help!(Brand new gas cap) Thank you.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have read that people use shell rotella t6. isn't that for diesel engine??
Yes, it is, but also works great in my motor. I have been using it for 18K miles and my oil consumption has gone from 1 qt. per 1000 miles to, 1 quart per 4000 miles.

Motor sounds great with the Rotella. In addition, from now until the Dec. 31, Shell is offering $7 back on each jug you buy.

261 - 280 of 322 Posts