E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing my tranny fluid to redline atf d4. What a big differance! It feels less notchy when shifting and even goes into gear better. The tranny fluid compliments my RE short shift kit, RE WSR, and RE tranny mounts very well.

On another note: when draining my old tranny fluid, it was BLACK and even had some metal filings in it! :yikes: Glad to have gotten that stuff out of my tranny. I'm still having a hard time figuring out why bmw considers it "lifetime" tranny fluid. :dunno:

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
Hey how many miles do you have on your car? Also i was advised by fellow bimmer owners to change my tranny fluid every 30k miles. I agree.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as miles goes, I am at 35k currently.

BTW:

*it took about 1.5 qts of redline to fill up my tranny.
*those 2 bolts were on SO TIGHT!

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,180 Posts
I want to change my tranny fluid, my tranny is so notchy lately :thumbdwn: How much does it cost to get the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Did you use any thread sealant when you replaced the plug?

·
Registered
18 Posts
tpzblu330ci said:
I want to change my tranny fluid, my tranny is so notchy lately :thumbdwn: How much does it cost to get the dealer to do it.
I have asked 2 dealers and neither one would replace the fluid with Redline. I will probably have to go to an independent service station.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tpzblu330ci said:
I don't think the dealership will do it for you. They will tell you that the fluid it lifetime tranny fluid and send you on your way?

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keeferno said:
Did you use any thread sealant when you replaced the plug?
I used some teflon tape on the plugs and torqed both plugs down @ 37 pounds.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
How does the tape work? Do you wrap the plug in it and then screw it in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts