BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a SES light over the weekend and got the code pulled today at Delta V motorsports in Richmond, VA. They said that 4 (FOUR!) O2 sensors are in need of replacement and the cost for the sensors will be ~$400, with labor being ~3-4 hours.

Does $700 sound right for changing out the O2 sensors?

Also, I am coming up on 120k miles, so I'll be needing to do an Inspection 2 (Delta V quoted >$1000!). Any places recommended over the others? I could probably drive up to NoVA on a weekend, but would need the car back before Monday so I can drive my ass back to VCU for classes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
o2 sensors are a piece of cake, at least the pre-cats. Paid 90 bucks for both sensors and rented the tools from Advance Auto, less than an hour R&R.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
$700 is too expensive. You can DIY this in no time at all, but you will need a special socket which can be purchased at an auto store for $10. There are two types. Crow foot and slit socket.

50 Nm with anti-seize. The BOSCH come pre-greased with A/S.

There is a sh!tload of threads on the who, what, where, when, why, blah blah blah. Do a search and you'll find some good info., as this is a very common topic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seriously??? $700, I tell them to shove it. ECS tuning or Pelican carry O2 sensors.
I totally agree - I have never seen 4 O2 sensor go bad at the same time.
Wait until it comes back in about 35/40 miles or so, if there is truely a problem. And pull the code again.The two fronts are easy to change. While your at it, check to make sure your "Y" intake boot doesn't have a hole, that could throw other codes too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts