BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi forum readers, There's something that started leaking out of my wifes rear view mirror, whatever it is, its dripping on the cosole and its taking the paint off the trim around the gear stick. She says the mirror has lines through it and is fogged up. Anyone know what this is. How I can fix it. Oh, its in a 04 325i. it also has a red bulb on the bottom of the mirror and on the right hand side of the mirror it has a picture of a telephone with sos on it. Just thought I'd throw in some specs on the mirror. I need some help before it ruins the console. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
You need to get the mirror replaced. Look up sybesma systems or something along those lines and they can repair your mirror for around $95.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hi forum readers, There's something that started leaking out of my wifes rear view mirror, whatever it is, its dripping on the cosole and its taking the paint off the trim around the gear stick. She says the mirror has lines through it and is fogged up. Anyone know what this is. How I can fix it. Oh, its in a 04 325i. it also has a red bulb on the bottom of the mirror and on the right hand side of the mirror it has a picture of a telephone with sos on it. Just thought I'd throw in some specs on the mirror. I need some help before it ruins the console. Thanks
The only way to repair your mirror is to send it in for repairs. There is a company called Sybesmas that will replace your mirror for $95 plus shipping. They are a mirror manufacturing company.

Call them at 616-392-6911.

I recommend you read over the this thread, should help you out. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=686228&highlight=rear+view+mirror+repair

***** Bottom line ****** take the mirror off before the rest of the corrosive liquid leaks onto any other part of your interior. As you can see, the liquid will ruin anything it touches. Better to have no mirror than a mirror leaking and ruining your interior.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Search man, there's a ton of threads on this. You obviously have the auto-dimming rear-view mirror - this is not un-common what you're experiencing. Got get that thing outta there ASAP, it'll ruin your interior.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
wut would have caused it to break?.....excessive sun heat?......(just curious, in case ever happens to mine)...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
wut would have caused it to break?.....excessive sun heat?......(just curious, in case ever happens to mine)...
Exposure to direct sunlight/heat will eventually cause the auto-dim mirror to fail. This is why I use a sun shield which covers the mirror entirely to keep excessive heat buildup down to a minimum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sybesma doesn't have any available in stock at this point, so I just bought an e90 mirror with homelink and compass on ebay and retrofitted it. the new mirrors don't use the same autodimming mechanism so they aren't prone to failure like the e46 ones. also I had the BMW assist mirror which I've been told is more liable to leak than non-assist e46 mirrors. to retrofit the e90 mirror just cut pins #4 and 5 on the harness, this will disable the assist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, This has been very helpful

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just used Sybesma to repair the mirror cell on my 2004 325 CiC. The mirror has the auto-dim, homelink, telephone, and SOS features, so the repair at $95.- including shipping is worth it. The turnaround time was 3 days after they received and they did a great job.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
its the LC panel leaking out. kinda rare problem Ive never seen it before.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think he overfilled his mirror fluid, hope he didn't do the same to his blinker fluid. ;)

Go with the advice from the other posters, they seem to know what they're talking about.

·
Banned
956 Posts
+ Do all e46's come with the dimming mirror?, or it an optional when the car is purchased new, because I will know if I need to replace my mirror down the road.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any tips for cleaning this stuff up? Is it possible? Mine went from totally fine to empty in one day. Landed on and ran down the side of my center console housing and splattered all over the passenger seat, staining everything along the way. Crap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts