BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im not the best with electrical wiring. Ive wired lights and simple things before but im trying to wire a rear view camera and its not working how i want it too.

I would like to wire the camera so its on all the time while the car is on(i will do an on/off switch later).
At first i tried tapping into the tail lights so whenever i turned the headlights to on it would get power, but this did not work.
I tried doing it straight to the battery which worked but when i started the car the picture would be jumpy and very unclear.

I bought some 30 amp relays on amazon and wired it up to the battery again but it did not work at all.

Any help?
i have an eonon headunit
e46 e325i 03

·
Registered
142 Posts
Where do you want the connection to terminate? Are you using a wireless camera or running a cord to the head unit? I ran mine to the TV input in the boot and used the 12V accessory wire to power it, that way it's always on and seems a stable enough power source.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running a cord to the headunit which has a camera input.
The 12v from the cigarette lighter ?

Where do you want the connection to terminate? Are you using a wireless camera or running a cord to the head unit? I ran mine to the TV input in the boot and used the 12V accessory wire to power it, that way it's always on and seems a stable enough power source.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sure, you could try the cigarette lighter. You could tap into a 12V source in the boot, such as the cd stacker interface. If you don't have a cd stacker installed, you won't have to splice anything, an the plug will just be sitting in a little pouch near the cd stacker mount point.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Is there a good source for e46 wiring diagrams online? Always see spaghetti TIS recommended when I search but that’s been gone for 7 years or so

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
10,917 Posts
The problem is the head unit gets switched power. That is, the head unit has 2 sources of power. 1 source is always on to retain the radio presets. The other is switched as it goes off when you shut the car off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts