E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago i installed a Bilstein shock set on my 2000 323i and after a few months before installing camber kits on both the front and the back :loco: i had considerable wear on the inside of my left rear tire. i noticed that after a few months of driving to try and flatten out the wear of the inside of my rear tire it still seems to be wearing. I really don't have any sidewall on my inside rear tire. After reading several forums on the rear trailing arm bushing i think that this might be shot. The car does have 160000 on the car and are still original to the car. Does anyone have any opinion on if they think its the bushing or not. I just don't want to get all new tires and then come to find out the bushing is bad and have the same inner wear problem as i have now.

Thanks for any helpful info on this :clap::bow::bow:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
A few months ago i installed a Bilstein shock set on my 2000 323i and after a few months before installing camber kits on both the front and the back :loco: i had considerable wear on the inside of my left rear tire. i noticed that after a few months of driving to try and flatten out the wear of the inside of my rear tire it still seems to be wearing. I really don't have any sidewall on my inside rear tire. After reading several forums on the rear trailing arm bushing i think that this might be shot. The car does have 160000 on the car and are still original to the car. Does anyone have any opinion on if they think its the bushing or not. I just don't want to get all new tires and then come to find out the bushing is bad and have the same inner wear problem as i have now.

Thanks for any helpful info on this :clap::bow::bow:
Sure get the bushings, at that mileage your original OE bushings are probably shot. But there's a bigger chance it's an alignment problem, most likely Toe. If you said your Bimmer was Lowered, I might also say Camber, but you didn't.

Rob43

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure get the bushings, at that mileage your original OE bushings are probably shot. But there's a bigger chance it's an alignment problem, most likely Toe. If you said your Bimmer was Lowered, I might also say Camber, but you didn't.

Rob43
I agree with changing of the bushings, and it is lowered about an inch, i did install front and rear camber kits on the car, i did have an alignment do on the car recently after installing the camber kits and the alignment was good, so hopefully it is just the OE bushings

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Are you buying OE or Poly RTAB's bushings ?

Rob43

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure honestly thinking of OE but do you think they poly will be more beneficial?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Not sure honestly thinking of OE but do you think they poly will be more beneficial?
It all depends what you're looking for.... They both have their Pros & Cons.

I'm running Poly in 99% of my Bimmer, handling is great but like I said, they're trade-offs.

Rob43

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha I'll look into it, I appreciate your input

·
Registered
660 Posts
after a few months before installing camber kits on both the front and the back
What camber are you running in back?
If you increased it then you should expect more wear inside.
Just to be sure, did you have it aligned after installing the kits?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What camber are you running in back?
If you increased it then you should expect more wear inside.
Just to be sure, did you have it aligned after installing the kits?
I have SPC rear adjustable camber arms, i did have an alignment done on it after i installed the arms, i got a print of of the actually alignment and it shows the back is perfect to BMW specs

·
Administrator
19,097 Posts
Gotcha I'll look into it, I appreciate your input
I vote for polyurethane bushings (PowerFlex). Very durable, don't deteriorate from oil contact, etc.

On your tire wear, once a wear pattern is established the wear pattern will continue even after the problem is fixed. This is because the tire wears evenly across its surface after the repair, thus preserving the existing pattern. It will not undo the wear pattern, gotta replace the tires.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I replaced mine with factory rubber (m3) and limiters. Before that my old tires had excessive wear on the inner sides. All other suspension was replaced prior. Once replaced, got the alignment and the tires are wearing perfectly even with new tires. I think I waited a little time between the old and new tires to replace the bushings but there was hardly any wear on the new tires when I did them.

But it is correct.....if the tires are very worn it won't help that set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I vote for polyurethane bushings (PowerFlex). Very durable, don't deteriorate from oil contact, etc.

On your tire wear, once a wear pattern is established the wear pattern will continue even after the problem is fixed. This is because the tire wears evenly across its surface after the repair, thus preserving the existing pattern. It will not undo the wear pattern, gotta replace the tires.
Could you send me a link to those bushings? really appreciate it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since we're on the subject does anyone have or know of someone who has the removal tool they would be willing to let me use? I Will pay to use it and will pay postage

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last question that has to do with the RTAB, does installing the RTAB with preload bad for them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why would you do that? I think you need to unspring the RTA to replace the bushing, at least if you don't want to get your arm torn off. Very few suspension components need preloading any more.
Ha my bad i explained that wrong, i read somewhere that when installing them that you shouldnt fully tighten the bushing but then how would you fully install them? :facepalm: HAHA :rofl: im realizing that now dont always beleive what you read on the internet

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.