BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 323Ci to a local inderpendant garage to get it up on ramps for a lookie at the rear suspension.

The guy found what you see in the pictures. Its clearly has cracked and someones tried to do a quick fix weld on it (proberly just before we bough it!)

Hes said the rear end needs dropping and welding properly. Reckons 2 days labour.

What do you think about it? Is this a known problem, I want to approach BMW about this, as its a build problem.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Most of us are aware that our lovely little E46's have fragile bums.

Pretty cars to look at but in the end you need to drive 'em like you're an accountant or the rear end will eventually puke it's guts.

:dennis:

That's where you are now.

Start reading here about rear subframe etc......

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
don't know if this will help you but take a look at the sticky at the top of the page about getting BMW to pay for the subframe damage. sorry to hear. good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Call BMWUK I guess it would be, first before going to the dealer. Just got my car back from subframe repairs which did not cost me a penny. Car has 123,000 miles. It did take them 3 weeks but they provided me with a rental.....Nissan Versa:rofl:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Turner motorsport has a re-enforcement kit for the rear subframe that you may wish to look into since it's getting fixed anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turner motorsport has a re-enforcement kit for the rear subframe that you may wish to look into since it's getting fixed anyway.
Intresting. Wont they fix it so it wont happen again? I take it this is something BMW wont fit...

I had this problem got it fixed for free at Nick Whale BMW Warwick
Oh, good. someone in the UK who had it done for free! Warwick isnt too far either. Was it done to your 2003 model? would it of been covered under warranty?

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I'm in the UK, but i will try my hardest to get it sorted for free. Its a badly designed part that is dangerous! they should cover it
From what I hear, BMW in Europe has been a lot more compliant in fixing these things for free. Definitely worth calling them and trying to get them to fix it for you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Intresting. Wont they fix it so it wont happen again? I take it this is something BMW wont fit...

Oh, good. someone in the UK who had it done for free! Warwick isnt too far either. Was it done to your 2003 model? would it of been covered under warranty?
Mine was a 99 328 and I think it was just out of warranty (6 year corrosion warranty) when they did it - I have to go in there tomorrow I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I was prepared to go in hard but they were fine gave me a replacement car etc. The only problem I can see you may have is that someone already tried to repair it but not sure if that would be an issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was a 99 328 and I think it was just out of warranty (6 year corrosion warranty) when they did it - I have to go in there tomorrow I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I was prepared to go in hard but they were fine gave me a replacement car etc. The only problem I can see you may have is that someone already tried to repair it but not sure if that would be an issue.
Hi, That'd be great if you could ask their take on it. Its a '99. I live near oxford, so Warwick isnt too close.

Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spoke to my local dealer just now. They'll take a look, but before they put in a "good will gesture request" to BMWUK they want me to agree to paying for the work if BMWUK dont pay for it!

Cheeky buggers. My local garage would be much cheaper, im not paying BMW more just to have BMW do the work! its 8 years old, only reason it goes to the main dealer is if its free!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Spoke to my local dealer just now. They'll take a look, but before they put in a "good will gesture request" to BMWUK they want me to agree to paying for the work if BMWUK dont pay for it!

Cheeky buggers. My local garage would be much cheaper, im not paying BMW more just to have BMW do the work! its 8 years old, only reason it goes to the main dealer is if its free!
Thats bs you dont have to agree to pay if BMW dont cover the costs, they can submit it to BMW without you agreeing to that. Which dealership was that ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats bs you dont have to agree to pay if BMW dont cover the costs, they can submit it to BMW without you agreeing to that. Which dealership was that ?
Wycombe. They are usally really good when we had our mini. When we broke the drive shaft they took it in and said BMW would cover it no problem.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
That's crap! You don't have to agree to anything! They make it sound like they won't even ask BMWUK for anything and just make you pay for it. Sounds like a shady dealership if you ask me...

On another note, I also inspected my car for the rear subframe damage, and lukily, i have none...but it is definitely something every 1999-2000 e46 owner should have checked regularly!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts