E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear Sun Blind Retrofit help

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  egoy936 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 BMW 330ci. I had ordered a rear power sunshade / sun blind for a coupe it had came with the strip button panel and looked super easy to wire. My issue is when I removed the rear deck and flipped it over there was no precut line. From my understanding it is suppose to have a precut line. However my rear deck does not have this line. Does anyone have a template for this? Or please share how you got this alignment perfect?

Thanks,
Evan

#3 ·
Yes, sorry I meant it is marked. Mine did not appear to be marked at all. I ended up cutting mine and I cut mine too far back that the shade does not sit correctly or the screws holes don***8217;t mats have up either. I just ordered another rear deck to due my mistake. Thank you for the photos I saw this on this forum before I started.

#5 ·
Alex - was there another post on the rear window sunshade you meant to link? I am interested in a rear window shade if there was one on the E46 but your link is for the sunroof shade repair? Thanks.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Wow - thanks. Hey that's pretty cool! I appreciate you for checking the link and reposting it.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, first up here are pictures of the coupe shade mounted in the sedan shelf. You can see the height of the opening is perfect but the coupe shade is much narrower than the sedan shade. Also, I don't have a spare sedan shade here to show you, but the sedan shade is more rectangular - the both the top and bottom mounting strips/brackets extend the entire width while the coupe shade is significantly narrower on the upper part. I don't know if this means you should cut the ends of the shelf opening differently (the sedan shade opening is cut at 90 degrees on both top and bottom).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Finally, the measurements. This opening is pretty uniformly 1" or so across the entire length. The shade will hide any imperfections. For the width I would measure to the very end of the longer shade mounting bracket. You need to give yourself a little room but not much.

#16 ·
On closer inspection I see that my coupe shelf DOES have markings for the shade opening. Here are some pics. I tried darkening the lines to make them easier to see. Although it does have the longer bottom line (shown at the top of these pics) mostly visible it does not show the other line. As long as you keep the opening an inch or slightly larger you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.