BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh SHEEIT!

After reading about folks cracking the 328Ci lower subframe mounts, I wondered if the vibration I felt in the rear of the car had a reason...

So I put it on the lift at work.

I was VERY unhappy to discover the cause of my vibration - the left (driver's) rear subframe mount has cracked!

I had reported the vibration problem to my local BMW dealer, who promptly repaired the control-arms in the front of the car. The car was about 70 miles away from the end-of-warratny time.
Guessed that they missed the rear subframe issue, and now I'm 150 miles beyond the warranty period.

I wonder if they're going to bust my balls over this, or if they'll just fix it. The car's totally stock, so they can't say it was caused by hard driving, and they missed the problem when it was under warranty.

What's going to happen, guys? Any ideas?:bawling: :cry: :banghead:

·
Registered
251 Posts
honestly.. if you have documented before of this vibration and if it was still prevelent, theyhave to fix it even if it was out of warrenty, because you complained about this before the warrenty expired. I would be nice but firm about this, I honestly dont see why they wouldnt if it was documented in the past and it was corrected

good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
damn, sorry to hear about this, u just got ur car too, its a shame that ur having these problems. hope your dealer agrees to fix the problem under warrantee, but if they dont, would contacting BMWNA help at all?

-brendan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I clearly took the car in because the vibration problem was being felt in the rear of the car. I didn't tell them to replace the front lower control arms; they did it of their own accord, apparently never inspecting the rear suspension.

They've got no ground to stand on; I've found their error in failing to repair the vehicle properly the first time because I was curious about the vehicle's apparent disconnection in turns (the rear seemed loose), so when I put it on the lift to check, I found this problem.

If my local dealer doesn't stand by this repair, I'm going straight up the line to the GM of the dealership, and then I'll be having a word with BMWNA about their piss-poor quality!

Ultimate Driving Machine my ***! I've owned something like 28 vehicles, and have NEVER experienced this problem before - even when I put 40k miles on my Miata with race springs, race shocks, huge sways, low profile tires and large wheels, and with 225 horsepower pushing the car around through countless hard launches and deep corners.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I would call BMWNA and tell them about it then take it to the dealer and tell them your story they should fix it if they want you as a repeat customer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a sales manager at a Ford Dealership - you never want to "go above" someone's head like this; most service writers are happy to file warranty claim issues. It's always best to talk to the folks there to see if they can solve your problem without dragging the big boys into it; they're best addressed when you can't get satisfaction from the dealership first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To follow up on the situation, I had the day off of work, so I took the car into the dealership where the lower control arms were replaced - and I think they're covering the whole affair under warranty.

They were shocked, dismayed, upset, embarrased. They gave me a 325i as a rental (auto), and it's a nice 2001 unit. Oddly enough, the steering seems more direct than my 2000 Ci!

They're gonna call me soon with more info; I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:eeps:

I was wondering if you guys have a pic of which part you are looking at.... which part of the sub-frame?

Thanks,:bow:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a search under "subframe mount" and you'll find numerous pics of failures.

I should mention that my car's totally stock (except for that ridiculous air intake, the clear corner lights, and the blue interior lights): stock wheels, MXV+ in 225/55R/16, stock springs, and stock shocks. THere's no damage anywhere to the car, as it appears to havev been driven with care over the 50k life of the vehicle. No reason at all why the cracking occured except possibly some really crappy metal may be responsible - perhaps that was the day the Eighth Air Force was bombing Regensburg (a little humor at our former enemies sake) and a Polish war slave threw too much cobalt into the alloying chamber (stuff like that shortened the war, as German weapons started decreasing in quality near the end).

BMWNA really, really needs to address this issue. My wife loves her '89 325i, but won't look at a newer unit until this kink is cleared up.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yikes, it seems like this is happening a lot more often these days.
How many people have had their lower subframe mounts crack?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I have to bring my car in next wensday so they could take a look at my subframe damage to see if they will cover it or not. i had the same problem in september, and they welded it, now the weld is ripping. their workmanship sucks, and they refuse to cover it. what kid of dealership doesn't warranty their work?!?!hopefully i will have no problem on wensday to get them to cover mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Join the club, just got my car back. Costed 3500 and it still not perfect...BMW SUCKS MY ***!! But I still love my car search down a little bit there is like a 8 page thread on this **** and it will answer any question you have

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I'll save you the time it takes to BMWNA. Don't bother - you won't get anywhere - you'll just get referred back to the dealer and get a nice BMWNA form letter. Try to work it out with the dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got a call from the dealer today - they said that because they hadn't seen this issue before, they'd called the BMWNA rep, who will be in on Thursday, to look at my car. If it's been "hot-rodded," then they're not going to cover the damage.

I couldn't sense or see any abnormal wear to the car (other than the broken mount, that is), nor had any aftermarket stuff been done to the suspension, so I'm starting to worry that what they're going to say, (since they're the judge and jury) is, "Hey, it's broken, so it MUSTA been hotrodded! Duhhh, yeah... Dat ways, we doan' gotta pay out a buncha dough, know what I mean, Chawlie?"

This better not happen, or I'll make the kind of trouble for BMWNA that NO car company wants to have! Nothing more frightening to an auto manufacturer than a disgruntled car customer, especially when he's got a valid complaint - I see this on a daily basis working for Ford, I assure you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts