E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the forum and first post here. I used to have an E30 and it was the best car Ive ever had. just got my 2000 323i sedan about a week ago knowing it had the notorious subframe separation issue. 124k on the odometer and the car is otherwise very clean. Talked the guy down to $2500. Now i am looking around the Northern VA area to get the repair done but most shops are saying its not gonna happen for less than $4k which is a no go of course.

Any advice on repairs in NOVA area? I was told by one well regarded euro shop that they had an owner that had BMWNA cover half the repair about a month ago but I imagine it would be a heck of a bill still at the dealership at $175/hr. I have seen many posts where people have had this done much closer to $1200/$1500. I took a few pics but it seems like maybe I cant post them since I'm new. The left mount has broken and the right has some seemingly minor cracks. Please advise, I have this sinking feeling right now.

·
Registered
12,188 Posts
Check with J & F Motors in Shirlington (south Arlington).

4064 South Four Mile Run
Arlington VA 22206
(703) 671-0361

This, and Road Race Technology, is the ONLY shop in NOVA that I trust.

RRT
23700 Overland Drive
Sterling VA 20166
(703) 661-4222

RRT can do the work. Neither will be cheap.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts
"if" BMWNA covered it. it would be at most half of their quote price of around $4,500-$5,000. so you'd be spending some $2,500 besides anything else it needs.

Chase had his done years ago in your area
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926308&highlight=

but he has always been overcharged for work. don't be a sucker at that shop.

shop around, you're correct it should go for about $1,200-$1,500 now from an independent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah my rear drivers side mount looks pretty much just like the pics in the OP of the thread you linked. Im afraid the damage may be too substantial for just the Turner plates? RRT charged him $3100 which is just not justifiable for me on a 17 year old car.

Update 6/14/17: I have called several shops in my area. The only ones i made any headway with were RRT and atspeed motors. I know RRT would do a great job but they start at around $2300 and then go up according to they guy i spoke to. I talked to Bob Miller at atspeed motors for like 20 mins. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the issue, the cause and the repair. He told me he can do a typical reinforcement plate job for 8hrs (subject to change of course once they get under it). I will be bringing the car to his shop tomorrow or Friday unless you guys have any horror stories about atspeed motors of Hanover, MD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it to Atspeed Motors today. So the drivers side mount is literally pulled through the sheet metal and still fully attached to the inner bracket. They said the passenger side mount is fully intact and no cracks at all. They were very familiar with the job and the Turner plates but said those wont work given the size of the hole. They will have to fab a top and bottom plate then weld them and remount the subframe. Said its gonna be a 15-20 hr job... Looking at between $1700 and $2500 (worst case). Thats a huge gap but i cant find any other shops in the area that will be under $3k. Suppose i will drop it with them on Monday...

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,240 Posts
I had mine repaired at the BMW of Fairfax bodyshop many moons ago. This was even before BMW issued the recall. I'm not sure if they still do these repairs or not, but it might be worth a call.

IMO though, it was a mistake to pay $2500 for the 323i that you know had a torn subframe. That's a lot to pay for a 323i with an intact subframe. Add in the cost for the repair, and you're at about $5k. $5k could have gotten you a 330i (manual and sport package), with relatively low miles, in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO though, it was a mistake to pay $2500 for the 323i that you know had a torn subframe. That's a lot to pay for a 323i with an intact subframe.
My thoughts exactly. Although that doesn't help the current situation..

But, OP, have you considered selling the car and getting one in better condition?
Even with the $1500-2000 you'll spend on an involved subframe repair, you could buy a 325 in better condition.

Do you have a garage? If so, perhaps going DIY is an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thoughts exactly. Although that doesn't help the current situation..

But, OP, have you considered selling the car and getting one in better condition?
Even with the $1500-2000 you'll spend on an involved subframe repair, you could buy a 325 in better condition.

Do you have a garage? If so, perhaps going DIY is an option.
Yeah, I was overly optimistic about the damage. Live and learn I suppose. I'm assuming I would take a pretty heavy loss on the car as soon as I'm upfront about the state of the subframe damage. Then again, I'm primed for a pretty good loss either way. I'm about 50 miles from the shop and don't have tools/experience for much prepwork which would limit my savings on having it towed.

The owner at Atspeed (Bob Miller) struck me as a straight shooter, he was talking my ear off about e46s and just cars in general. Might just bite the bullet and save the hassle of selling/re-buying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.