BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is non HK, and I just started my whole sound update, and first thing was, I bought some JBL P662S 6.5" 2 Way Speakers for the front and rear. I used some brackets to make them fit, however the speaker grills will not fit anymore.

I want to keep the stock look and not use the speakers grills that came with the JBL's.

Any ideas? I was thinking that maybe the HK grills are taller, but I have no idea. I know this is suppose to go in the sound section, but thought it would get more response here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i just left the rear deck speakers open. they look good in the open but if i could make the stock grill fit i would. ive thought of retofitting them but there isnt any reasonable way i can think of.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just left the rear deck speakers open. they look good in the open but if i could make the stock grill fit i would. ive thought of retofitting them but there isnt any reasonable way i can think of.
I really want them covered. I might try to shave down the brackets or create my own covers. Can't find any aftermarket ones...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under mount the speakers with the deck out of the car. Problem solved.
Not sure how well that would go. I don't think it would align properly with the speaker adapter brackets. Also, I don't know how close it would be to where the cone rests. They are 6.5" speakers.

Secondly, not sure if I want to go through all that work. I heard it's a pain to remove the rear deck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any finished pictures? With some searching, I saw you asking how to remove the rear deck earlier on too. Was it for the same reason?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Unfortunately with adapters that add any mounting space this will happen with a lot of speakers. Need a way to 'drop' the further into their mounts unfortunately. THis is why we use 6.25"(the actual stock speaker size) direct fit speakers. We want the grills to 100% be reinstalled with no issues.

Midbass(for reference - we offer in all fitments) - http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/609/323/BMW-E46-Woofer-Coupe-Convertible/

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Any finished pictures? With some searching, I saw you asking how to remove the rear deck earlier on too. Was it for the same reason?
Sorry, no pictures, but yes i had to remove the deck. Luckily I had it out for another reason. I was able to use the standard adapters, mounted the speakers to the adapters upside down, then the adapters to the deck, upside down (under). I used the shallow infinity 3 ways and it fit no problem (well I removed the stock baffles), sounded good and the grilles fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts