E46 Fanatics Forum banner

REAR Shock Question

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  OrientBlau 
#1 ·
I have a 323i Standard Suspension. Rear shocks are bad and need replacing.

I'm looking at these some Bilstein form Parts Geek, but i am a bit confused.

They either say Touring Class, Sport or heavy duty.
Is it correct to assume that i need the Touring Class. I don;t have sport Suspension, not sure if heavy duty is right either.

And Advice.

#4 ·
You shoiuld have the same shocks in the front and back, otherwise youre in for an interesting ride. :ben:

BTW, Bilstein HD is fine.

If you have sports susension or a coupe, you would need the Billy Sport.

Perosnally, I would go buy direct SACHS replacements for the front and rear.

#5 ·
Haven't replaced my shocks at all, so they are what the car came with.
I'm hoping to replace the fronts soon too, but the backs need immediate attention.

I saw that Sachs were direct replacement on these cars. K...will look at them.

Thanks for all the input.

#8 ·
Haven't replaced my shocks at all, so they are what the car came with.
I'm hoping to replace the fronts soon too, but the backs need immediate attention.

I saw that Sachs were direct replacement on these cars. K...will look at them.

Thanks for all the input.

You can get the Bilstein Sport, but it requires different springs.
Shocks and springs must match due to compression rates. Keep this in mind if you do not get direct replacements.

FWIW, I bought the HDs, but they were too firm for NYC roads, so I ended up with another set of SACHS direct replacements. The Bilsteins felt excellent on highway roads, very tight handling, but I hardly drive hwy, just local, and the roads out here are terrible. SACHS were just more comfortable.

#9 ·
+1 Bilstein HD will fit the bill nicely...

When installing a new suspension, why not install factory upgraded parts ? Simplify your life and order new Strut Mounting hardware to install on to your new springs and shocks. Including the Z3 shock plates and Meyle HD shock mounts along with all the required hardware for a quick installation.

This kit includes:
* Meyle Heavy Duty Rear Shock Mounts
* Shock Mount Gaskets
* Z3 Reinforcement Plates
* New Hex Nuts

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.