BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm purchasing a set of kw's v2 from rennsport this coming week, but one thing i need to know, do i really need rear shock mounts? i did a search and most people seem to recommend it but is it really needed or could i just install the set up right away? just wanna be safe i guess....thanks

·
- FAMOUS -
206 Posts
what's the mileage on your car? if your car is relatively new, then you really don't need them. if you're past 30k or so, you might as well replace them while you have everything off. rear shock mounts are ~$60 so it shouldn't set you back too much. the peace of mind is priceless, anyhow :D

aaron

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
Rear shock mounts... just say YES. Most cars with more than 30k miles need them and aftermarket suspension accelerates the wear process.

Ed

·
Registered
88 Posts
No question. And don't buy the M3 shock mounts. They suck too. Call Jay at Ground Control or TC Kline.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
pmpn8ez said:
No question. And don't buy the M3 shock mounts. They suck too. Call Jay at Ground Control or TC Kline.
Don't know if I'd go as far as saying the M3 ones suck, because a lot of ppl I know run them and work fine.
But yes, GC is another good product! That's where I got mine :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The problem is really a result of the higher spring rates found on aftermarket springs. The factory mounts are designed for the factory spring rate. As spring rate increases, the factory shock mounts absorb more load. Given that they only cost $50-100 you might as well replace them while you already have the shocks off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info guys, i'm pretty new to this but how does the rear shock mounts look like? is it the upper piece that keeps the suspension together? pictures would be nice also.....thx

·
Registered
88 Posts
The other issue that is not mentioned on the UUC website is lateral force on the shock. When you lower the car, you change the axis of the shock. This results in lateral forces being applied to the shock which results in shock failure (very common on lowered BMWs). Shocks are engineered to only move on their axis and when they experience side loads, the seals will leak or they will bind. With factory RS mounts (and bushings) on a lowered car, the shocks experience these unwanted side loads. This is the reason race cars use spherical bearings instead of bushings. With bearings, lateral force and binding is removed and the force will always be on the shocks axis. The downsides of bearings are price ($169 from TC Kline or Ground Control) and less buffer between your suspension and the road. While I don't think the ride is harsh at all, others may disagree.

When you install your suspension you'll notice that the shock will not want to re-attach. You'll have to muscle it into place to bolt it on because the bushing is only designed for factory ride height. That side force on the shock does not go away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again truwon, i'm going to stop by the bmw dealer today to pick up the parts, good thing they have it in stock! I'll post up some pictures as soon as i get my car slammed!!! =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts