BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how are you guys today I was wondering if I should buy the blue devil rear main sealer for my e46 due to an oil leak I have there I rather not drop the tranny till I do the clutch and everything down there is it a good option to use to product as a temporary fix till I can buy the rear main seal kit and clutch?

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
5,048 Posts
I think there's a universal "No" concensus on this forum with respect to products like that. That said, how do you know it's the RMS? Easy to mistake on oil pan gasket leak for an RMS.

And while RMS leaks happen, they're not very common around here. I'm on 181k miles and it's still bone dry back there.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think there's a universal "No" concensus on this forum with respect to products like that. That said, how do you know it's the RMS? Easy to mistake on oil pan gasket leak for an RMS.

And while RMS leaks happen, they're not very common around here. I'm on 181k miles and it's still bone dry back there.
Agreed they aren't common IMO. I'm at 180k miles and over an oil change 5-6k miles I see a teeny bit of sweat where the motor meets the trans. And could very well be oil pan gasket. And snake oil in a can is all hype. If the car has high mileage, I'd ride it out until the clutch needs replaced, then slap in a main rear seal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Currently the car has 108k miles 2000 bmw 323i 5 speed but the bolts and whole back where tranny sits and meets the engine is drenched in oil I put a cardboard to see and it’s always from the way back of the middle of the engine bay, nonetheless I was asking if this product would work as a temporary fix due to one time was driving the car on the freeway and when I pulled over at my office and got back the car at least had a small like puddle under it which is pretty bad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed they aren't common IMO. I'm at 180k miles and over an oil change 5-6k miles I see a teeny bit of sweat where the motor meets the trans. And could very well be oil pan gasket. And snake oil in a can is all hype. If the car has high mileage, I'd ride it out until the clutch needs replaced, then slap in a main rear seal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
I know it might sound dumb but I hate seeing oil on my driveway so I would rather just try a temporary fix to see if it finally stops and till I saved up enough money for the clutch kit and slave and master cylinder

·
Registered
26,266 Posts
OP, I had a rear main seal leak for years...it seeps very little bit and you can replace oil easily...the rsm not so much. Also, cardboard on the driveway takes care of drips. :) I was waiting for my clutch to be replaced also, but it didn't up to the mileage I lost the car at-- 386,321 miles. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, I had a rear main seal leak for years...it seeps very little bit and you can replace oil easily...the rsm not so much. Also, cardboard on the driveway takes care of drips. :) I was waiting for my clutch to be replaced also, but it didn't up to the mileage I lost the car at-- 386,321 miles. :)
Guess I’ll try this out if not guess and leave the car parked till I have money to replace the rms

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s the where the tranny connects to the engine and idk if it’s clearly visible but lots of oil in between the joining of the tranny and engine

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,476 Posts
Put that crap in your car and I'll never help you.

If the back of your engine was leaking onto the top of the engine/transmission connection, where do you think you'd see the oil dripping out of?

The bell housing. Always start looking for oil leaks at the bottom. However always finish finding where from much higher up.

Motor oil can/will seep between the transmission and engine, no matter how tight the bolts are.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put that crap in your car and I'll never help you.

If the back of your engine was leaking onto the top of the engine/transmission connection, where do you think you'd see the oil dripping out of?

The bell housing. Always start looking for oil leaks at the bottom. However always finish finding where from much higher up.

Motor oil can/will seep between the transmission and engine, no matter how tight the bolts are.
In your opinion I posted a picture of where it mostly leaks oil but where do you think oil leak is originiating from?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
OP, have you removed the bottom plastic pan and see if it's covered with oil?
This pan has holes toward the rear and so any oil leak from engine will be collected and then leaked down on ground at the rear of the engine.

IF this pan is oil wet, then the main place: oil filter housing gasket; valve cover gasket; VANOS hydraulic hose from oil filter housing to VANOS unit.

Yours is only 100K miles and mine is 170K miles with only very little leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, have you removed the bottom plastic pan and see if it's covered with oil?
This pan has holes toward the rear and so any oil leak from engine will be collected and then leaked down on ground at the rear of the engine.

IF this pan is oil wet, then the main place: oil filter housing gasket; valve cover gasket; VANOS hydraulic hose from oil filter housing to VANOS unit.

Yours is only 100K miles and mine is 170K miles with only very little leak.
currently mine doesn’t have that plastic cover on the bottom of the engine bay and yes the oil pan bolts are all drenched with oil as soon I see which confuses me to thinking it might be the rear main seal, in your opinion what do you think it may be

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s the oil filter housing gasket side of the engine and I just cleaned it before it looked like it was covered in oil
like this

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And that’s the bolt from the oil pan closest to the transmission that Always drops oil no matter how much I clean it and the one that leaves a mess of oil on the drive way

1 - 18 of 18 Posts