BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, may I ask the community for your thoughts? I purchased this car about a month ago, dealer said they just replaced the Rear Main seal, but they are 6 hours away and I cannot just drop in.. The trans seems to be dry everywhere else... My local guy said I have an Oil Pan leak, just want to get opinions before I drop coin-
File Sep 06, 10 50 53 AM.jpg

File Sep 06, 10 50 24 AM.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, thanks for your input! It looks as though I also have a leaking sleeve on the trans, too. If it were you, would you push the dealer to fix the main, if that is what the problem is? I have an extended warranty through Nissan power train, but I tried to run the oil pan and was denied saying it was pre existing... Now I am scared to submit anything for the first couple months fir fear of it getting denied.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Show the dealer the pics, tell them what the warranty company said, and ask if they will fix it. Tell them you will contact the state attorney general about the problem if they don't, or just get it fixed locally at a dealer if it is not worth the bother to you. Sometimes rear main seals are very difficult to fix, although I have not heard of a BMW having that problem very often, certainly not on any of my BMWs. Years ago, I had a 74 Buick Electra passed down through my family that I paid for two or three rear seal fixes in a short time and they all leaked. I just got used to the leaking and sold the car like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with the dealer, SA is talking with the GM tomorrow on picking up the tab on the fix-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts