E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Ive recently noticed some knocking sounds coming from the rear (sounds like rear left but not 100% sure) when driving on uneven roads/over bumps and potholes etc. but also, when turning left and sometimes when turning right. A garage has already looked at the rear suspension and noted it appears someone previous has jacked the car up on the control arms as they're bent, and the left side is practically touching the ARB, while the right side isnt as close (I suspect this will be the knocking sounds, especially given the excessive knocking when turning. It was also noticed that the exhaust is sitting quite close to part of the frame just before the backbox, and if you push the exhaust side to side it does knock but not loudly.

However, Ive also noticed that the knocking happens constantly when I press the clutch down and coast, it doesn't knock when holding clutch at idle, only when rolling, and only when the clutch is pressed. The clutch isnt slipping when driving, so Im not sure if this is just the same problem with the control arms, and when the rear wheels are disconnected from the engine, it just gets worse, though I cant work out why short of the driveshaft 'tightening' everything.

Anyone have any insight? recommendations? Thanks

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,430 Posts
Knocking noise over rough roads: bad shock, bad shock mount, broken rear spring all come to mind.

Knock with the clutch in and rolling: driveshaft center support, though you would likely get noise under load, as well.

· Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
267 Posts
I've been under my car the last few days. I noticed that the rubber surround on the center support bearing is completely shot. There is no physical connection between the bearing and the car body, and I can easily move the shaft up and down. That said, there's never been knocking under load or high speeds. I do hear a knock when I first back up. I'm hoping that's it, but I doubt I'll be so lucky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts