E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my 2001 bmw e46 touring has been having a issue lately with the rear glass. For a while it would open randomly when the car was parked but now it does not open at all. if anyone has any info or knows how to fix the problem I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
There are a couple of things to check for this type of issue.

First thing that come to mind is to check the wiring between the car and the hatch for broken wires. This is a common issue that can cause intermittent issues with various functions of the hatch. Unfortunately with the glass not opening it's hard to check the wiring between the glass and the hatch.

Second thing is to check the micro switch in the glass release. I have buddy with one who was having issues with the random opening, like you, and he said it stopped when he unplugged the micro switch. Just be careful taking apart the release button. There is a little pill shaped piece that goes between the push button and the micro switch that is easy to lose.

Third thing is check the latch itself in the main hatch. I'm trying to remember if it is actually part of the rear wiper drive or separate. This may be the best place to start checking wiring through the connector with a DVOM. I don't have the wiring schematic handy, but I'll try to post one up later today if I remember.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.