E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to activate my rear fog lights but I'm concerned they might fall under the extra lighting category of illegal mods. Does anyone know if they are illegal in jersey or even the whole country? I didn't think they were since SAAB, Land Rover, Audi, Volvo, and others sometimes leave them installed. But I've heard they could be illegal.
Also, what about switching out the amber turn signals and side markers for white with orange leds? is this illegal?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Rear fogs aren't illegal. Plenty of cars come with them from the factory. BMW even sells a rear fog retrofit kit for the mini coopers.

Since you have a touring, I believe it's as simple as just running a wire from Pin 49 to your taillights .

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah, seen this movie on the Cooper forums. The thing with rear fog lights is, drivers and cops don't understand a bright light or lights when cruising our autobahns. It's a great Euro idea to alert drivers behind you in dense fog but here, it looks like you have defective tail lights. Nobody gets it and could cause a cop to pull you. But they do it anyway and probably fire 'em up - once every 6 months.

Amber bulbs LED or tinted glass are fine to run under clears. It's a DOT thing to have amber markers and turns. I'm pretty sure It's observed in all states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts