BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got sandwiched in an accident. Rear ended from behind, which pushed me into the car in front. I'm putting the claim through the guy who hit me, but his insurance company said they only would do it through one of their authorized paint shops. Is that right? I thought I selected a place and they just pay the shop. This happened in NJ. Probably no part replacement needed, however the bumper is scratched up pretty bad. Any ideas?

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
talk to your insurance company. Hope you have full comprehensive. THen, you're allowed to take it anywhere you want and can have the two companies duke it out. Be careful with the guy in front. Lots of unscrupulous people out there who claim they were rear ended twice, hoping to get money from you and teh guy who hit you for two separate "accidents"

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Stahlgrau325i said:
... but his insurance company said they only would do it through one of their authorized paint shops. Is that right? ...
That is a lie. (Imagine that, an insurance company lying to save money) You can take the car anywhere you want to get fixed. At worst, they may only pay their "average labor rate" for the area which is slightly less that what the shop charges (how the hell do they calculate the average anyway?) but most shops will just match the lower rate.

If you do need any parts, you have the right to OE parts. Also, if you need a rental car, you are entitled to rent an equivalent car. Since no place in NJ rents out Bimmers, you can rent a reasonable car (midsize oldsmobuick) rather than a Geo metro. You are not restricted to a ~$20/day rental allowance since you re not fixing the car through your own policy.

The most important thing to get is a letter from the other driver's insurance company stating that they accept liability for the accident. That way, they can't back out halfway through the repair if the idiot who rearended you decideds to change his mind.

I went through this a few years ago with one of my BMWs and had to beat up the other guy's insurance carrier at every step to get what I wanted. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, insurance companies are horrible at screwing people around. I got hit and they said I had to pay for the extra charge for the rental car since I was 17. Trust me this is only the beginning, you cannot back down at all on any issue. The best thing to do is take it to the best shop you can find and get an estimate ASAP for fixing the car as well as diminished value. The sooner you get the estimate the better, at worst you have to pay the difference between your shop and what they say a normal shop would charge or what their adjuster feels is normal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Rear ended - insurance question.

teamdfl said:

That is a lie. (Imagine that, an insurance company lying to save money) You can take the car anywhere you want to get fixed. At worst, they may only pay their "average labor rate" for the area which is slightly less that what the shop charges (how the hell do they calculate the average anyway?) but most shops will just match the lower rate.

If you do need any parts, you have the right to OE parts. Also, if you need a rental car, you are entitled to rent an equivalent car. Since no place in NJ rents out Bimmers, you can rent a reasonable car (midsize oldsmobuick) rather than a Geo metro. You are not restricted to a ~$20/day rental allowance since you re not fixing the car through your own policy.

Thanks.

Just cleared some details up. I can take it to any shop I want. The insurance company will pay up to what their appraiser believes is the damage. Hopefully the shop I want is not too far off, or at least they will eat the difference. I'll have to see about getting a rental.

·
F22C1
976 Posts
insurance companies are another scum bags of the earth. geico is trying to screw me. its lawyer time baby.

why not get a mtech rear bumper painted. take some advantage.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
if your insur. pays out money

your rates will go up. you just have to tell the other insurence co.
to send you the check. take your car to the body shop from your dealer they know how to fix your car. just make sure that your cross brace behind the rear bumber isn't bend. that is what happen to me a few months ago. did not even know that it was bend. make sure where ever you go they know bmw cars. if you look in the trunk take up the carpet make sure nothing shows of the cross brace behind the bumber. also look between the bumber and the body of car to see if any thing is bend if so you got more hidden damage. i caugh that just in time. make sure you do the same. before it is to late.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts