E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY car has suddenly developed a mid frequency whine from 45mph on up that I thought was tires at first but is not. It sounds a bit like the sound my old tires were making when the center/traction strips were so worn. It is coming from the rear of the car BUT the sound does not change when driving over different road surfaces (hiway, interstate, bridges) like it did with the old tire noise. I went ahead and checked the pressures, inflated them to the correct pressure and the sound did not change. The sound does not change dramatically when the car is put into neutral while cruising at 45-75 mph (thought it could possibly even be an exhaust roar). The frequency of the sound does not change much from 45mph on up but stops rather abruptly once below that speed.

I don't know that much about cars but it would seem that if its not tires and not exhaust that it would have to be in the drivetrain/rear axle. The car is a 2000 328Ci with 65,000 miles. The tires are Bridgestone RE750s with only about 6K miles on them.

Any ideas before I take it to the dealership???

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No mechanics out there? Just picked up my son from the movies...this is really buggin' me. Sounds like it is coming from the right rear. Sounds sort of like a prop plane flying overhead.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That would make sense. I've personally never heard a wheel bearing go bad but I'll bet you're right. Thanks again.

J.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just spoke to my client/friend/mechanic at the BMW dealership and he confirmed the likelihood of that being the problem. Wonder if that is covered under my CPO??? Mo money, mo money. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

John

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
I've had both left and right wheel bearings replaced. Left one under regular warranty, right one under CPO warranty. If it's a bearing, it's definitely covered.

Both times the bearings failed it felt like a wheel was really out of balance and made a rumbling sound that was much worse above ~40 mph.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slow323ci said:
I've had both left and right wheel bearings replaced. Left one under regular warranty, right one under CPO warranty. If it's a bearing, it's definitely covered.

Both times the bearings failed it felt like a wheel was really out of balance and made a rumbling sound that was much worse above ~40 mph.

Thanks J.,

How'r them ASA AR1's treatin' ya??? :thumbup:

John

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tirerack gets em about Dec. 6th. I had a single wheel that I ordered from them sittin in my living room for about a week. Nicely finished. Should look good with the TiAg.

The bad news is my CPO has been temporarily suspended due to an odometer problem. I am going to post another thread on this. I had a bunch of stereo stuff put in my car but left in the factory head unit. They tapped into the wiring bundle in the back to hook everything up. When I went to pick up my car, the odometer only had (an even) 10k on it. Oops. The actual mileage was about 47k. Now BMW won't honor the CPO until the issue is resolved. They are going to try to recover the mileage on Monday. They are 95% sure that they will be able to. I ...or the stereo shop...will be up a creek if the 5% wins out.

Let's see if this has ever happened to any of the guys on the forum while pimpin their rides.

Thanks for the info...and the tip on the wheels.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts