E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car that is. Over the past couple weeks, the rear end on my car shakes when I'm letting the clutch out in first or reverse. It feels like its about to stall...you know the shaking feeling if you dont give it enough gas when you let the clutch out? Its the same type of movement. It doesnt do it when I'm shifting to any other gears, just 1st or reverse. At first, it only did it in the mornings when the car was cold. Then, it would do it when I drove my car alot in one day; it would do it later in the day. Now it does it nearly every time I engage first...the shaking in reverse just started a couple days ago too. What does this sound like to you?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Mine does that. I just think the reverse gear is too tall so the engine strains even at 1500 rpm. It's not like we are going to be driving around backwards at 25 mph so I don't konw why they would engineer that... :hmm:

But no, there is nothing wrong with your car.

Oh, as for your first gear problem, add more gas, you are engaging your clutch too soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Clutch may need adjusting?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gir said:
Mine does that. I just think the reverse gear is too tall so the engine strains even at 1500 rpm. It's not like we are going to be driving around backwards at 25 mph so I don't konw why they would engineer that... :hmm:

But no, there is nothing wrong with your car.

Oh, as for your first gear problem, add more gas, you are engaging your clutch too soon.
I dont think I'm engaging too soon...I've driven the same for a year...as long as I've had my car. It only happens when the gear is almost fully engaged; when the clutch is almost all the way out. Before, I could keep the RPMs at ~1000 and it would be fine, now I have to have them up around 1700-2000 to keep it from shaking.

cgrizzly888 said:
Did you check your guibo, center flex disc? could be worn out.
I dk what those are...never heard of them. I'm taking it to the dealership on monday to have them look at it, fix my window trim thats falling, and fix a low coolant light that I get when the engine is cold.

We'll see what it is.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not something wrong w/ the clutch is it? I really dont want to pay for a new one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just experienced what you explained and today was the worse ever and my whole car felt like it was shaking but it was coming from the rear. What was the cause of your problem?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i know this is off topic but how is your 08 m3 not still under warranty?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maby you have kidnapped someone , i had that once and the rear end shook erratically :/

(Clutch is probably going out , or your tranny/engine mounts)
Yeah I know how the clutch acts when it's about to fail and it's similar to that but I just replaced the clutch this May.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So it's only once you engage the clutch? When in neutral does the engine run perfectly smooth?
You know what sucks, this whole incident happened when I was stuck in traffic and I was mostly on 1 or 2 gear. I didn't notice anything obvious when in neutral. I know my diif was making the thump sound when I shift gears for while now probably due to worn bushing can this be the cause?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My car that is. Over the past couple weeks, the rear end on my car shakes when I'm letting the clutch out in first or reverse. It feels like its about to stall...you know the shaking feeling if you dont give it enough gas when you let the clutch out? Its the same type of movement. It doesnt do it when I'm shifting to any other gears, just 1st or reverse. At first, it only did it in the mornings when the car was cold. Then, it would do it when I drove my car alot in one day; it would do it later in the day. Now it does it nearly every time I engage first...the shaking in reverse just started a couple days ago too. What does this sound like to you?
OP what solved your problem?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
:facepalm: e46f.c is STILL the place. Check the thread date guys, the guy has a new car now and quite possibly forgot what problem he had 5 years ago... Or simply pm him rather than bumping this up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts