E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had done the reinforcement job on my car a few weeks ago and ever since there has been a clunk in the rear end when taking off, and also if I go on and off the throttle quicker there is a clunk. So when I started looking around I realized I had put the diff bolts on the wrong side, so front was on back and back was on back, go ahead and laugh I know. But I swapped those around and the clunk was gone... for a little bit, after a while of driving with absolutely zero clunk, it came back. I had them all down to the correct torque which was about 60 ftlbs. Any ideas on what else it could be? And should I have put loctite on all 4 subframe bolts?

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
it came back. I had them all down to the correct torque which was about 60 ftlbs. Any ideas on what else it could be? And should I have put loctite on all 4 subframe bolts?
Place the camera under the diff and record it while try to move the car forward and reverse. If the diff doesn't move much, then the clunk is internal: LSD clutch pack slipping with a little too much plays on the spiders to side-gears.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Place the camera under the diff and record it while try to move the car forward and reverse. If the diff doesn't move much, then the clunk is internal: LSD clutch pack slipping with a little too much plays on the spiders to side-gears.
Should the diff move a little? mine did but i assume that's just the diff bushings moving because they arent solid

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Move in what way?
Clockwise tilt action as viewed from behind the diff?
nose of diff moving up/down as viewed from the side of the unit?
Car was on the ground?
How many miles are on the car?
The diff rotates like front and back but again not much, not clockwide looking at it from the rear. car was on the ground yes and almost 135k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts