E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried searching and didn't find anything on this.

When I am making a tight U-turn and am accelerating in 2nd gear, or when I am making a heavy turn in general and add a considerable amount of throttle I get a rear end clunk/ popping noise. It pops twice, once when entering the turn and then again when exitting the turn so it sounds as if something is popping in and out.

Any ideas? Differential bushings perhaps? Subframe? I checked the subframe and visually do not see any cracks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just replaced the RTAB a few thousand miles ago, I don't think its that.

This noise became apparent after one heavy day of driving on twisty roads with heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
572 Posts
In for answers

I get it also. I think it may be my rear shocks but I havent changed my rtab's. Will change both this summer and report back if it's solved

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This actually only happens when I am making a sharp left turn, it will clunk once when I make the sharp left, and clunk again when I straighten out.

Sound like something is popping in and then out.

Checked my shock and strut mounts and they seem okay.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Do these rear ends have clutches in them as like the camaros and so on? The faster you drive the more they engage and thus providing more traction. Just wondering cause I know when you would turn the cars with the type of rear ends i mentioned they would make a clunking noise as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it only when you turn? Or when does it happen when driving straight? If so, check your control arm, mine was making a similar noise, and my control arm turned out to be loose, don't ask me how, but it was...

·
:D
7,735 Posts
possibly your rear shock mounts. when mine were loose they made a clunk noise and it was clearly from the rear end. although it made it when i went over bumps too. it could be that your rsm is completely torn. take your trunk liner out and check. should take 10 min tops to check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts