BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks I have jacked the car up removed the wheel a couple of times to check to see if anything was loose or making a noise and I've herd people saying about the lug nuts so I've double checked them. Now it's to the point my torque wrench is living in my boot and I have checked them about 20 times in the last couple of weeks lol also removed everything from the boot. I didn't even think there were any 3.38 lsd diffs out there ? Now I'm hoping I have one lol. What car did they come on ?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
Is there a chance I now have lsd? What's the easiest way to check without burning up the tyres lol. It would be a result if I did end up with an lsd by mistake.
the chance is slim to none. I wouldn't even waste time checking. your mechanic put LS fluid in so you'd be fine anyway. yes LS friction modifier is fine in your open diff.

as others have mentioned, click from the rear is often a sign of the cv bearings in the half shafts being bad. but I don't see why extra weight would alleviate it. I suppose it could put the cv axles in a different angle but still unsure if that would stop it. loose wheel bolts could cause this too. but again the weight thing and it would do it on straights too.
only other thing that comes to mind and fits with weight in rear subsiding the noise is rear shock mounts. but that doesn't fall in line with turning noises.

I'd check the half shaft cv joint cages and maybe a rear wheel bearing.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
I didn't even think there were any 3.38 lsd diffs out there ? Now I'm hoping I have one lol. What car did they come on ?
they didn't come on any E46s. it would have to be aftermarket and these are expensive and very uncommon. my 3.38LSD was special made from Turner Motorsports about $3,500 new for the unit and i sold for $2,500 used. in other words if someone had a aftermarket 3.38LSD they could easily sell it and they would.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I put my phone In the roof storage area above the top mounts. The noise is louder on the phone than what I hear in the car on the phone it's more of a clunking. Could this be the rtabs ? It was doing it a bit while I was going straight also. This was on a bumpy Feild and I was turning and going straight. I've uploaded to YouTube so hopefully you guys will be able to see it.

http://http://youtu.be/pFFQqb4-PwE

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You tube it's under

e46 convertible knocking from rear

I tried adding the url here but it's not showing up when I post.

It's only got 1 view and the top bit is silver on the car. So you know it's the right video lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks rysed07. I copied and pasted the link from you tube and when I added it hear it already had the http// so that was on there twice. That's the first video I've uploaded to the web lol. But got there in the end. Hopefully you guys will have some ideas.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
well from the way is sounds, that's not a clicking like I was expecting. more a thud from a loose cable or cover hitting/flapping a body panel.
maybe they forgot to put a nut or clip on an undercarriage cover. there are a few plastic trays underneath for aerodynamics. it could even be a broken exhaust hanger and exhaust hitting spare tire well.

sorry cant be more help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks. To be honest i was surprised to hear the video as the sound is a lot louder than I hear in the car. But this was a bumpy Feild I was driving around in which did make the noise happen a lot more and yes it's more of a clunk last night than a click. Over normal bumps going straight I don't hear it but turning does make it happen. It always happens when I go up a driveway in 1st or reverse. But never that loud until last night. At least I've got a video to show the mechanic as its not an easy noise to replicate on normal roads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi il take a vide tonight. Last night i tried to show a friend the noise after we had played golf there was a lot of extra weight in the car as we had electric trolleys with heavy battery's in the boot probably 100lbs in the boot plus 50lbs in the back seats and me and a passenger up front and the noise was hardly there the passenger couldn't even here it a I only herd it twice at 2 separate times and we were driving around in circles in a large car park for about ten minutes. I did the same thing the night before on my own no weight in the car in the same place and I herd it quite a few times. It doesn't speed up or slow down with the cars speed. It's not rhythmical use the odd click here and there. No noises while going straight or over bumps. Would extra weight in the car affect the diff ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi il take a vide tonight. Last night i tried to show a friend the noise after we had played golf there was a lot of extra weight in the car as we had electric trolleys with heavy battery's in the boot probably 100lbs in the boot plus 50lbs in the back seats and me and a passenger up front and the noise was hardly there the passenger couldn't even here it a I only herd it twice at 2 separate times and we were driving around in circles in a large car park for about ten minutes. I did the same thing the night before on my own no weight in the car in the same place and I herd it quite a few times. It doesn't speed up or slow down with the cars speed. It's not rhythmical use the odd click here and there. No noises while going straight or over bumps. Would extra weight in the car affect the diff ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bmw e46 convertible and I also have the clicking sound from rear mostly when turning I found out the problem to be as u mentioned the weight it’s very light at the back with most of the weight infront, I put the convertible down which added more weight to the back and it was rarely making a noise best thing to do is maybe get a hardtop convertible which I will be purchasing or drive with the roof down if u don’t want to hear the clicking sound from the rear

21 - 38 of 38 Posts