BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clicking noise and I just can't find out where it's coming from. I've read loads of posts all over the Internet and had my mechanic look over the car and still I'm none the wiser. So I'm hoping someone can help me out last year I had koni fad and eibach pro fitted to my convertible (as recommend by guys on here) and it's great the car is much nicer to drive. I replaced all top mounts and Spring pads also put 10mm h&r spacers on the rear. About a month ago I did the diff swap replaced my 3.07 with a 3.38 which isn't done much in the uk but it's great. The only issue I have is when turning I hear 1,2 sometimes 3 clicks from the rear it doesn't matter which way I'm turning and doesn't matter if I'm in 1st or reverse. Last night I went to a large car park put the car in 1st pulled off and took both feet off the pedals so the car was crawling along on its own and turned the steering wheel so I was going round in circles and sure enough I hear a couple of quiet clicks then I turn the steering wheel the other way and hear a couple of clicks I do this a few times and I hear the clicks each time. I put the car in reverse and take both feet off and I hear the same thing a couple of light clicks from the rear. I also hear this while going up driveways in 1st or reverse. I've had about 10 hunter alignments done and they say everything looks perfect. I even had the airbag recall done last month which they did a free health check and said the car is in great shape needing no work which they said is unusual as normally with the e46 there is a big list of things. I don't have a clue what this noise is I took the spacers off the rear put the original wheel bolts in and still the same. So it's not to do with them. Please someone tell me what to check or what it could be I've had the car nearly 10 years and I keep it in perfect health so this little noise is really annoying. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Post a video of the noise. Since it happens while turning, and you recently swapped out the diff, my money is on a chipped spider gear in the "new" diff. They only come into play when you're turning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi il take a vide tonight. Last night i tried to show a friend the noise after we had played golf there was a lot of extra weight in the car as we had electric trolleys with heavy battery's in the boot probably 100lbs in the boot plus 50lbs in the back seats and me and a passenger up front and the noise was hardly there the passenger couldn't even here it a I only herd it twice at 2 separate times and we were driving around in circles in a large car park for about ten minutes. I did the same thing the night before on my own no weight in the car in the same place and I herd it quite a few times. It doesn't speed up or slow down with the cars speed. It's not rhythmical use the odd click here and there. No noises while going straight or over bumps. Would extra weight in the car affect the diff ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks il check that tonight. I've been thinking about changing the front and rear links as they haven't been changed for at least 10 years if ever. And also the rtabs but when I had an alignment they said the rtabs were fine and they checked them with a pry bar. But how can they still be fine after 10 years. Il check the sway bar end links tonight what's the best way to do that ? Just to try and move them ? They shouldn't move at all is that right ? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think so I got a mechanic to put the diff in and he said everything was good. It took 6 hours though he said all the nut and bolts were a nightmare to get out but then I guess 13 years without being moved has made the all rust together.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I don't think so I got a mechanic to put the diff in and he said everything was good. It took 6 hours though he said all the nut and bolts were a nightmare to get out but then I guess 13 years without being moved has made the all rust together.

All that stuff they say looks good under there may not be. Notoriously deceptive. I got clicking when turning once, which turned to banging when turning. It was a halfshaft. Frankly the clicking when turning is a classic symptom of worn halfshafts but you could always drive until it gets worse to confirm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the half shafts would that make a difference if the car had extra weight in it ? Last night I had a passenger plus 150lbs ish extra weight over the rear wheels mostly in the boot and it only clicked 2 times whilst trying to make it click then it did click more when there was no extra weight in the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a 3.38 from a 330 auto as far as I know it's not lsd but the mechanic put new oil in it and he thought my car was lsd and therefor put lsd oil in it. I googled it and was told that it's fine to have lsd oil in a non lsd is that correct ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a chance I now have lsd? What's the easiest way to check without burning up the tyres lol. It would be a result if I did end up with an lsd by mistake.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is there a chance I now have lsd? What's the easiest way to check without burning up the tyres lol. It would be a result if I did end up with an lsd by mistake.
Jack the back of the car up, ebrake off, put it in neutral and spin one of the rear tires by hand. If the other tire spins the same direction, it's a LSD. If it spins the opposite direction, it's an open dif.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that another good way to check. I didn't think there was such a thing as a 3.38lsd for the e46 ? Or were some models fitted with them ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
LSD requires friction modifier to be added to the gear oil, either as a separate add-on, or use oil with friction mod already in it. It won't hurt to have it in regular diff.

Before you start tearing into your diff and axles, make sure all lug bolts are tight. I was troubleshooting a clanging sound on my neighbor's Honda Accord, spent much time reading about diffs, clutches, and axles. I scoffed at the suggestion about loose lug nuts. Next day I raised the car to inspect the brake calipers, and that's when I discovered 3/4 lug nuts were finger loose! Easiest fix to a noise in the driveline I ever did.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts