E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear bumper sag (pics)

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hawk99 
#1 ·
Hey gang, I've got some minor bumper sag over the left rear wheel. I searched around a bit and couldn't find an adequate DIY fix. Any guidance you all can provide is much appreciated.

Ignore those scratches, for now.

From inside the wheel well. It looks like that clip should be holding on to something.

Here's the diagram. I'm having trouble identifying the corresponding parts.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, there isn't a comparable apparatus on the other side. That diagram suggests to me that part 14 goes on right rear side, not the left (where my problem is). No?

I should note that the bracket I'm pointing to is attached to the rear quarter panel, not the bumper. When I push the bumper flush with the body (as it should be), this is what it looks like from inside the wheel well:

#4 · (Edited)
..its def. not part number 14....

16 is the culprit :thumbsup:

theses clips can bend out of shape with slight impact (which it appears may have happened in your case)
Remove that side of the bumper, and straighten the clip, ( make true/square ) then pop bumper cover back on.

*first hand experience with this bumper/clip/issue in question

***additional information: the clip uses the edge of the inside of the plastic bumper to "connect" if your bumper has been removed multiple times, or put on with force when the clip was bent out of shape, the plastic in which the clip connects to could possibly be damaged and not allowing the clip to "snap" into place.

#5 ·
Part 12 is a clip that holds the bumper in place on each side of the bumper. The clip is adjustable. It looks to me that when you hit whatever it is that you hit, you probably knocked that clip out of place. Remove the bumper, make sure all parts are properly aligned, make appropriate adjustments.

Take care of that rust. Rust is cancer for cars. If it's not already too late, you can save it.

#8 ·
It seems minimal, however, there is a slight edge on the inside of the bumper. That is what the clip connects to, it can be seen in your picture.
As for the bumper removal on that side, this is just to get adequate room to bend the clip. -not necessary, if your not comfortable doing such. The clip can be bent as it sits.

#9 ·
I had the same issue before. Clearly your bumper clip (#19) is not connected to your bumper, hence the sag. Unscrew the one bolt to remove #19 clip, and hook it onto your bumper, then hook the other end around the bolt on your fender and tighten the nut while holding your bumper in place. May take some trial and error but you will get it. Check your other side if you need to see how it hooks in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.