BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit in the rear by another car on the freeway. I was stopped & she ran into me, but luckily it was not at high speeds. The only visible damage is a rectangular scuff from her lic. plate. The bumper looks like it is still aligned & stuff

I know there are 2 "shock adsorbers" inside the rear bumper cover that are only good for one impact, but how do I know if they are still good or not? The impact felt kind of hard from the inside of my car, but it was probably only around 10 MPH, and the car looks fine except for the scuffs which I got an estimate for $200 to buff & wet sand them out...

So do I have to worry about those 2 shock adsorbers in the bumper? The guy at the detail shop said that if the shocks were damaged then the bumper would not be aligned anymore, but my bumper is still in alignment.... :dunno:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same happened to me and there was not any damage except cosmetic. That said, the only way to really know for sure would be to go to a body shop instead of a detail shop. You were rear ended so any work should be paid by the insurance of the person who hit you. I would recommend you go to a body shop.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone know how hard the impact must be (MPH) in order to screw up the bumper shocks & internal bumper?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Last Saturday I was on the freeway and exiting and some stupid a** rammed into me. only some bumper scratches and damages.
Exhaust was hit too and those chromed tips were moved.

I do not hear anything weird at high speeds after driving and everyhting sounds normal but i would recommend a check at the body shop. and i am going this week

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wouldn't worry if I were because the shock absorbers aren't easy to damage. If the impact was great, it would sooner push the rear body panel in then the shocks. Take my word for it.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I went for an estimate & this is from a BMW authorized body shop. They want to replace the bumper cover completely & then inspect the inside reinforctment bar & shocks. They want to charge $800 +...

I think they are just trying to make $$$ off of it, I dont want to rip this old lady a new one if I dont have to, but I just want to make sure everything is ok & get reinmursed for what was damaged.

She would like to settle outside of insurance... which is good for both of us... what to do?

$130 to buff it our, or $800 + possibly more in internal damage.

It seems that there wouldnt be internal damage though.. as AKAsevo said & as the first estimate said, that the bumper would look misaligned if there were damage to the metal bumper or shocks.. help..

·
Registered
726 Posts
i got rear ended a couple weeks ago and all that is damaged is the top part of the bumper is spiderwebbed. look above the black trim piece on your bumper and you may see a horizonal spiderweb line....it was about 10 mph and the body shop said that the absorbers were not pushed in

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got rear ended in August. The force was enough to puncture the bumper cover with the license plate screws but no other damage. Other than being a complete hassle I did get an Mtech rear out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts